Table of Contents
- What Is a Twin Over Full Bunk Bed?
- Twin Over Full Bunk Bed Buying Guide
- Review of the 9 Top-Rated Twin Over Full Bunk Beds
- 1. DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed, Twin over Full
- 2. Dorel Living Airlie Bunk Beds Twin Over Full
- 3. Dorel Living Brady Twin over Full Kid’s Bunk Bed
- 4. DHP Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed
- 5. DONCO Twin over Full Campsite Loft
- 6. Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin Over Full Bunk Trundle Bed
- 7. Merax Solid Wood Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
- 8. Merax Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
- 9. SOFTSEA L-Shaped Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed
Often homeowners and renters alike feel that there is simply not enough space in their homes to place all their furniture and belongings. When it comes to space-demanding furniture pieces, beds rank quite high. The solution? Bunk beds!
The most common bunk beds are the two single beds, one above the other. However, with more and more people looking for space-saving options, you can now find plenty of other types of bunk beds, including twin over full bunk beds.
What Is a Twin Over Full Bunk Bed?
Just as the name implies, a twin over full bunk bed comprises a full bed, either a king or a queen, at the bottom and a twin bed on the top. Unlike the traditional single over single bunk beds that are usually considered appropriate only for dorm rooms or children’s bedrooms, a twin over a full bed is suitable for a guest bedroom too as it can easily fit 3 adults.
Twin Over Full Bunk Bed Buying Guide
If you are in the market for a twin over full bunk bed, then you must have a lot of questions and concerns about how to choose the best one for your space. The following buying guide will bring you up to speed on the different features and specifications to look for in a twin over full bunk bed, and how to choose the best one for you.
Orientation- Parallel or Perpendicular
There are two main types of twin over full bunk beds. In the first type, the beds are positioned parallel to each other, with one directly above the other. The second type of bunk bed is L-shaped. The upper twin bed is perpendicular to the full bed underneath.
Both designs have their pros and cons, but the most important thing to take into consideration while choosing between these two types of orientations is the space available to you. L-shaped bunk beds will require more space as opposed to parallel positioned beds.
L-shaped twin over full bunk beds are generally more aesthetically pleasing and you get some extra space to incorporate stairs, storage, or even a desk, etc.
Material: Metal or Wood?
When choosing the material of your twin over full bunk bed, you have two options- metal or wood. Each of these includes further subtypes based on the type of wood or metal used or the type of finish the bunk bed has.
There are plenty of sturdy, durable, and beautiful designs available in both wood and metal. So, it comes down to personal preferences and the look you are aiming for in your room.
Accessibility: Ladders, Stairs, and More
A very important aspect to take into consideration when purchasing a bunk bed is accessibility to the top bunk. There are bunk beds with stairs, ladders, slides, and lots more. Slides are only good options for a kids’ room, but stairs and ladders can be appropriate options for twin over full bunk beds in other rooms too. Keep in mind though that stairs are generally easier to climb and there is less risk of accidents. Moreover, with stairs, you often get the opportunity to incorporate storage space under them.
Extra storage isn’t something that many people would pass on. So, it is well worth checking to see if the bunk bed you are considering comes with storage space. Common storage places are under the full bed at the bottom, or under the stairs of the bunk bed.
Some beds also come with a trundle bed that is tucked in under the bottom bed. This can be a great way to get some extra space for accommodating extra guests without crowding the room with an additional bed when it is not in use.
Flexibility- Down-Stackable or Permanent?
If you are often changing houses or don’t like to keep things the same in terms of furniture placement, then having the option of disassembling your bunk bed and using the twin and full bed separately can be extremely helpful.
Of course, if you are happy keeping your twin over full bunk bed permanently as a bunk bed then not having this option in the bunk bed you are considering purchasing shouldn’t be a dealbreaker.
Safety First- Guard Rails
The top bed on a bunk bed can typically be around 6 feet high. Therefore, it is important to make sure there are guard rails or some sort of safety mechanism to prevent any accidents, even if the bed will be used by an adult. Moreover, make sure that the guard rails are comfortably spaced out to prevent any problems like arms getting stuck between them.
Slat Kits or Box Springs
Some bunk beds come with slat kits. With these, you just need to assemble the bed and pop your mattresses on. However, with some, you will need to purchase separate box springs. Not only is this an extra expense but can also be quite a hassle making sure you have the right size and style.
Appearances Do Matter
In any bedroom, your choice can make the most impact on the overall vibe of the room. With a bunk bed, that’s twice as true, as they tend to be quite bulky and immediately attract the eye. Therefore, it is important to make sure that any bunk bed that you are thinking of buying is something you truly love. So, when looking into all the features and options that the twin over full bunk bed has, take a moment to also assess how it looks and whether it is something you would like to see as soon as you enter the room where you intend to put it.
At the end of the day, all the features discussed in this buying guide are subjective. There is no clear winner when it comes to choosing one bunk bed. It is, however, well worth being informed about each of the features and then deciding accordingly about which twin over full bunk bed is best for you.
Are Twin Over Full Bunk Beds Safe?
Just like any other bunk bed, twin over full bunk beds are perfectly safe, as long as they are assembled correctly and have the appropriate safety measures such as guard rails on the top bunk included.
However, it is still important to keep in mind who the bunk bed is intended for and how you can make them safer for them. For instance, stairs are a better option for adults as the tilted orientation as opposed to the straighter structure of a ladder is easier to climb.
A bunk bed is only as safe as the material it is made from. Regardless of whether you opt for a wood or a metal bunk bed, make sure the material is of good quality and the frame is sturdy.
Review of the 9 Top-Rated Twin Over Full Bunk Beds
The DHP Miles Metal Twin over Full Bunk Bed is a great option to consider if you have a smaller room with low ceilings. The bottom bed is a full bed that can easily accommodate two adults and the top twin bunk can hold another adult.
What sets this bunk bed apart from others is its height. The lower bunk bed lies just an inch of the floor and the clearance between the two beds is about 3 feet, which is less than average for adult bunk beds. This height is usually only found in kids’ bunk beds. However, with the DHP Miles bunk bed, the lower height means it can easily be used in rooms with lower ceilings and can accommodate children and adults of all ages without being too high for children.
The DHP Miles Full Over Twin bed comes with a ladder that can only be fixed on one side of the bed. The bed comes with premarked screws and holes, making assembly a breeze.
- Made with a Sturdy metal Construction | Includes secured metal slats, 12. 5-Inch full-length guardrails and a ladder integrated to the frame | Ladder can only be placed in one side
- Product dimensions – 77.5" L x 56.5” W x 54” H | Clearance left between beds – 35.84” | Mattress (min/max) height – 6” / 8” | Weight limit (Upper/ Lower bed) – 200/450 lbs. | Distance between slats – 3.5”
- Ships in one easy to handle box and it is simple to assemble
- Space Saving sleeping solution | Compact silhouette with an industrial design
- Accommodates one standard twin size mattress and one full size mattress (sold separately)
The Dorel Living Airlie Bunk Bed is a great contender for some of the best twin over full bunk beds available. The bunk bed is made using good quality wood and is available in a few colors to suit your room and preferences.
Assembling the Dorel Living bunk bed can be a bit of a time-consuming practice, but nothing that can’t be managed without requiring professional assistance. The maximum weight capacity of this bunk bed is slightly lower than average, which means that the beds, especially the upper twin bed, are only suitable for children.
The bed also comes with a wooden slat kit, and the headboard and footboard also have a matching slat design to give the bunk bed a minimalistic appearance. The top bunk is easy to access thanks to the titled 4-step ladder, which is far easier to climb when compared to vertical ladders. You can also rest easy knowing that your child on the top bunk is completely safe thanks to the guard rails.
Finally, one of the main selling points of the Dorel Living Airlie Twin Over Full Bunk Bed is that it can easily be separated into two beds. This way, you don’t have to commit to a bunk bed design forever if you don’t want that, especially if you are concerned that your children might soon grow out of it.
- Assembled dimensions: 79.25” L x 69.13” W x 64.63” H; Max Weight Capacity: 165lb (Twin) - 250lb (Full)
- Traditional transitional twin-over-full bunk bed with sturdy wood construction. Features transitional aesthetics such as gentle curves and a classic vertical slat design on both headboards and footboards.
- Conveniently converts into a twin and full size bed. Accommodates a twin and full size mattress (sold separately). Box springs not required.
- Features a 4-step ladder and guard rails on the top bunk for added security and durability.
- Assembly required. 1-year limited warranty.
The Brady Twin Over Full Bunk Bed by Dorel Living is yet another great contender for some of the best kids’ bunk beds available as it offers both form and function. With a minimalistic appearance in a grey wood finish, the Brady bunk bed is bound to be a beautiful addition to your children’s bedroom.
The bed comes with a decent maximum weight capacity which means that you can easily accommodate 3 children on it. Moreover, the bunk bed can easily be converted into two separate beds for when your kids grow up and no longer want bunk beds. This means your Brady bunk bed will be a reliable companion for you and your family for a long time.
Some of the features of Dorel Living’s Brady Bunk Bed include wooden slats, guard rails for the top bunk, an angled ladder, and easy assembly.
- Convertible bedroom furniture for your kids that easily converts to two stand-alone beds, 1 twin size and 1 full size.
- Construction includes bed support slats, guardrails, and a ladder that can be installed in one location. Designed to accommodate a mattress without a box spring.
- Top bed accommodates a twin mattress; bottom bed accommodates a full mattress. Only coil spring mattresses are to be used on both bunk levels; mattresses sold separately. Top bunk is designed for children ranging from 6 years of age to young teenagers.
- Conveniently ships in one box. Assembly required. Meets US Safety Standards. 1-year limited warranty. Available in Espresso, White, and Black finishes.
- Product dimensions: 79”W x 69.5”D x 64.5”H. Weight limit: 165 lbs top bunk. 250 lbs lower bunk. Net weight: 123.2 lbs. Shipping dimensions: 77.75”W x 15.5”D x 10”H. Gross weight: 134.2 lbs.
DHP claims to be the expert on small space living, and this is evident from their extensive range of bunk beds, trundle beds, and other space-saving furniture solutions. Their Twin Over Full Metal Bunk Bed is one such bed that comes in a sturdy metal finish in silver color, making it an aesthetically pleasing addition to your room.
Both bunks come with soldered metal slats to provide durability, support, and comfort. Moreover, the guard rails on the top bunk provide safety and security to the occupant of the top bunk.
The bunk bed comes with not one but two sets of ladders- one at the foot of the beds and one at the head. This not only adds to the quaint charm and visual appeal of the bed but also means you will have a lot more flexibility when it comes to deciding how to position this bunk bed in your room.
Thanks to its sturdy metal frame and other features that add considerably to the bunk bed’s structural integrity, DHP’s bunk bed is suitable for both children and adults.
- Your purchase includes One DHP Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder, in Silver color | Accommodates one twin and one full size mattress (not included/max thickness: 6”)
- Assembled dimensions – 57" W x 61.5" H x 78" L | Assembled weight – 84.5 lbs. | Max weight limit (Upper bunk) – 200 lbs. | Max weight limit (Lower bunk) – 450 lbs. | Slats distance – 2.5” | Min. ceiling height – 7'
- Sturdy metal frame with steel construction
- This modern, stylish bunk bed features a Twin top bunk over a Full bottom and looks great in any bedroom or guest room arrangement
- 2 integrated side ladders come included to provide versatility and metal slats on the top and bottom beds offer the right amount of support, comfort, and durability
The DONCO Twin Over Full Campsite Loft is more than just a couple of beds attached. Thanks to the rustic finish combined with the charming design, the bunk bed is a play and sleeping area combined in one.
The bunk bed comes in multiple packages, but all the pieces are numbered and labeled to make sure that assembly is a breeze. The bed is made using top-tier wood, which ensures that you have a strong and sturdy piece of furniture that your kids will use for a long time.
The bunk bed is L-shaped, with access to the top bunk through a ladder. Guard rails on the top bunk mean your child can sleep safe and sound at night. You have the flexibility to flip over the bottom bunk without affecting the bunk bed’s structural integrity if that will help it fit better in your room.
- Twin over Full Bunk Bed
- L-Shaped Loft
- Rustic Dirty Grey Finish
- Slat-Roll Included
- Campsite Theme Bunk Bed
Max & Lily Twin over Full Bunk Bed is the bunk bed you need if you are looking for maximum space-saving options. The twin over full bunk bed can accommodate 3 adults and the additional trundle bed, which is slightly smaller than a twin bed, can accommodate one more adult. If you don’t want the additional trundle bed, you can easily swap it out for drawers to get some extra storage space instead.
Although the bunk bed is advertised as a children’s furniture piece, the high maximum weight allowance of 400 lbs for each bed coupled with the minimalistic and elegant design, means it can be a great fit for a guest bedroom or a dorm room without making the place look childish. The beds all come with slat kits so that you don’t have to worry about getting box springs for them. Additionally, the 14-inch guard rails are high enough to provide adequate safety to whoever sleeps on the top bunk.
Max & Lily bunk bed is a great option for people looking for a durable bed that will last them for many years to come. It is made from top-quality New Zealand solid pinewood. Moreover, the beds are all detachable so that they can still accommodate your children as they grow older.
- Solid New Zealand Pine wood bed frame | Durable, non-toxic, low VOC finish | Mattresses are not included
- Product overall dimensions – 81.5” L x 57” W x 65” H | Twin upper bunk – 80" L x 40" W x 36" H | Full middle bunk – 82" L x 60" W x 69" H | Trundle lower bunk – 74.5" L x 40.7" W x 11.7" H | Distance between slats – 8.75” | Weight limit (each) – 400 lbs.
- Metal on metal structural connections won't loosen over time | Bunks can easily be separated into 2 free-standing beds
- Reversible ladder with rounded edges and grooved treads for comfortable, easy climbing | Hand-hole detail adds safety & style | Tall 14 in. guardrails safely fit standard mattress sizes
- Top bunk accommodates a standard twin size mattress, not over 8" thickness | Full-size bed accommodates a standard full size mattress | Recommended size mattress for the trundle – 72.5” L x 38.5” W x 8” H
Merax Solid Wood Twin Over Full Bunk Bed offers you great value for money. The bunk bed is sturdily made using good quality wood and includes two spacious drawers at the bottom for extra storage space.
The bunk bed is delivered in two boxes, so before you start to tackle the assembly project, make sure you have received both boxes. This will save you a lot of time, effort, and frustration. Apart from that, assembling the Merax bunk bed is a straightforward task as all the pieces, hardware, and manual are included in the boxes.
The bunk bed comes with a ladder that can be attached at an angle on either side of the bed. This offers extra safety, comfort, and flexibility. Also, the 15.5 cm guard rails on the top bunk offer great safety even with an 8-inch mattress. The bunk beds can also be dismantled and used as two separate beds once your children grow out of them.
- 【High Load Capacity Bunk Bed】Overall Dimension: 7９''L x 57.８'' W x 61.4'' H . Weight Capacity: 175 lbs for Top Bunk, 330lbs lbs for Bottom Bunk.The top bunk accommodates one standard twin size mattress (maximum thickness of 6'') and the bottom bunk fits one standard full size mattress(maximum thickness of 8''). Meets or exceeds all ASTM and CPSC safety standards
- 【2 Bunk Beds in 1】Bunk bed can be configured into two separate beds, 1 twin bed and 1 full bed, have the option to allow your bed to grow with your children. As well as 2 storage drawers underside for you to store your kids' staff, make it the best space saver
- 【Modern and Sturdy Bed Frame】Modern, hardwood and stylish bunk bed, looks clean and elegant in any bedroom or guest room arrangement. The twin and full bed frames are all with wood slats, which you could put a standard mattress directly, no box spring needed
- 【Standard Twin Over Full bunk beds】Includes 15.5'' guardrails on top bunk for safety and a side removable ladder to easily access to the upper twin bed, safe and sturdy climbing for your child. The removable ladder can be put in both left and right sides of the bed , adding more flexibility and convenience. Great item for small room, home, dorm, college, etc
- 【Easy Assemble Bunk Bed Frame】Ships in two boxes and is simple to assemble with clear instruction. Package 1: 79x13x7inches, 52lbs; Package 2: 58x22x10inches, 106lbs (May be delivered in different time by carrier); Please feel free to contact us if there is missing or damaged part during the process of shipping, we will come to you ASAP
If you are looking for a feature-packed bunk bed for your kids’ room, then look no further than the Merax Twin Over Full Bunk Loft Bed. The bed comes with two options for getting to the top bunk- stairs and a slide. The stairs are easier and safer to climb on compared to a ladder, and the slide just adds a lot more fun! The bunk bed also includes two spacious storage drawers to help you make the most of your space and stay organized.
The bed is made from strong materials that ensure that the assembled product is sturdy and strong. It also has a sleek and elegant design which means you can use it for both a kid’s room and guest room. The high maximum weight capacity of the bed also means that it can safely be used by adults too.
- 【Twin-over-Full Loft Bunk Bed】Standard twin size for top bunk, Weight Capacity: 250 lbs; Standard full size for bottom bunk, Weight Capacity: 460 lbs. Dimensions: Upper bed: 42.4'' x 77.9''; Down bed: 57.6'' x 77.9''. Seen picture for the Size detail
- 【Bunk Bed Frame with Rails and Storage】Comes with guardrails and solid slide provides extra security and stability for kids. Ladder can be interchanged left and right. Built-In Storage drawer and 2 bottom storage grids can store your staff or your kids' toys, great satisfaction for those in pursuit of being organized
- 【Modern and Sturdy Bed Frame】Modern, hardwood and stylish bunk bed, looks clean and elegant in any bedroom or guest room arrangement. Crafted of high quality pine wood and MDF
- 【2 Bunk Beds in 1】Bunk bed can be configured into two separate beds, 1 twin bed and 1 full bed, have the option to allow your bed to grow with your children. Share the fun of installation together and create a comfortable and fun sleeping environment for your child
- 【Easy Assemble Bed Frame】Easy to put together with clear Instruction, No Box Spring Required. Top bed recommended mattress thickness: 6''; Under bed/ Trundle bed recommended mattress thicknes: 6-8''
Softsea’s L-shaped Twin Over Full Bunk Bed offers a good bunk bed option for those looking to find something on a budget. However, unlike its more expensive competitors, the SOFTSEA bunk bed is not as sturdy and might require additional reinforcements to ensure that the beds are safe to use by your children.
The beds need to be assembled in an L-shape with an angled ladder that can be attached on either side and a cabinet for some extra storage or functionality. In terms of design, this bunk bed is second to none. The simple and elegant design along with the L-shaped orientation means it will fit just fine in your room without crowding it. Additionally, the detailing on the headboards and the rest of the frame help to give the beds a high-end look.
- ★ Includes two twin size beds, the under bed can be left alone. The bed can be separated into one platform bed and one loft bed with shelves.
- ★ Includes 4 drawers and shelves on both sides, has a good storage function.
- ★ High-quality, solid pine legs and a strong, durable frame ensures stability and durability for long-term use.
- ★ Upper bed: 79.9” x 42.1”; Down bed: 79.5” x 42.1”; Drawer: 14.1” x10.5”; Weight limit (Upper): 150 lb; Weight limit (Down): 200 lb. There are three packages.
- ★ We provide friendly customer service. If there is any part missing or damaged during shipping, please contact us, we will help you to solve the problem ASAP.
The weight limit on a twin bunk bed can vary greatly between different models and brands. However, most twin bunk beds have a weight limit of at least 150 lbs.
Most twin over full bunk beds come with assembly instructions. Make sure you have all the parts and all of them are labeled or sorted for an easier assembly process.
It is only a matter of personal preference. Regardless of the orientation you choose, ensure your bunk bed is strong and safe enough.
Getting a bed with slat kits helps you avoid the hassle of having to buy separate slat kits or box springs for placing your mattress on.
There are plenty of great options for twin over full bunk beds in both metal and wood. If the bed is made using good quality materials and is visually appealing, the choice of material is only a matter of personal preference.
Stairs are more comfortable and safer to climb up. However, they do require more space when compared to ladders. There is also a lesser chance that you can assemble the stairs on either side of the bed as opposed to ladders.