Table of Contents
- Standard Crib Mattresses: What You Need to Know
- Our Picks: The 10 Best Standard Crib Mattresses Available
- 1. Hiccapop Pack and Play Mattress Pad [Dual Sided]
- 2. Dream On Me Twilight 5” Inner Spring Crib and Toddler Mattress
- 3. Serta Perfect Slumber Dual Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress
- 4. Portable Crib/Mini Crib Mattress by Colgate Mattress
- 5. Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress or Toddler Bed Mattress
- 6. Sealy Cozy Cool 2-Stage Coil and Gel Crib Mattress
- 7. DaVinci Deluxe Coil Waterproof Crib Mattress
- 8. Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed
- 9. Bubble bear Premium Foam Crib Mattress and Toddler Mattress
- 10. Dourxi Dual Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress
- Final Word
Did you know that for the first six months of their lives, babies spend between 14 and 17 hours a day sleeping? That means most of your baby’s time will be spent in their crib! With that in mind, it makes sense that new parents are eager to find the right crib mattress for their bundle of joy.
But with so many different brands and more than one size of mattresses and cribs on the market, how do you know what’s standard? Keep reading to learn all you need to know about standard crib mattress sizes and which crib mattresses are best for your baby.
Standard Crib Mattresses: What You Need to Know
What size is a standard crib mattress?
Crib mattresses can vary in size, depending on the crib itself, but the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) states that standard crib mattresses must measure a minimum of 27 1/4 inches by 51 1/4 inches, with a thickness not exceeding six inches.
A huge benefit to standard-size crib mattresses is that most are the same size as a toddler bed, which will save you time and money as your baby gets older. Many crib mattress manufacturers sell dual-sided mattresses, so you can flip the mattress once your baby reaches toddlerhood.
What size is a standard crib?
Now that you know the proper dimensions for your new crib mattress, you’re probably wondering how big the crib should be. The CSPC says that a full-size crib should have interior dimensions of 28 inches by 52 inches – however, a standard crib can be ⅝ inch larger or smaller than the recommended dimensions, so you have a little bit of wiggle room when shopping for a full-size crib. The key thing to keep in mind here is that to avoid injury, there should not be a gap exceeding ⅝ inches between your baby’s crib and the mattress.
How do I know that my crib mattress will fit?
To ensure that your new crib mattress will fit snugly inside your crib, the first step is to make sure you have accurate measurements for both products. The last thing you want is to discover that the products you’ve invested in aren’t compatible, so always double-check the dimensions before you make your purchase.
If you’re still not sure the fit is right, Parent.Guide suggests using the “two-finger rule”. You should not be able to fit more than two fingers between the mattress and the edge of the crib.
Are there alternatives to the standard crib mattress?
Yes. If you’re looking to save space, you may want to consider a non-standard size crib, like a mini-crib. As the name suggests, these cribs and their mattresses are much smaller than a standard crib. However, the CSPC requires that all non-standard crib mattresses be bought as a set to ensure they fit correctly.
Other alternatives include crib mattresses made for a playard, also known as a Pack and Play. These mattresses are slightly smaller than a standard crib mattress, generally measuring 38 inches by 26 inches. The benefit of having a Pack and Play is the flexibility they bring to your life because they’re portable. As with other mini-cribs, we recommend purchasing these crib mattresses as a set with a compatible play yard to ensure a snug, safe fit.
Our Picks: The 10 Best Standard Crib Mattresses Available
Now that you’ve learned all about standard crib mattresses, let’s dive into which products will be the best for your baby!
As we’ve mentioned, a Pack and Play can be a great addition to your home if you need a secondary, portable crib. That’s where Hiccapop’s Pack and Play Mattress Pad comes in. If you’re looking for a high-quality, safe mini-crib mattress for a semi-reasonable price, we recommend the Hiccapop.
- The Hiccapop Pack and Play Mattress is compatible with all 38” by 26” playards. Its rounded corners and reinforced edge support ensure a snug fit.
- It’s dual-sided. The infant side is firmer, which is vital for a newborn’s safety while sleeping. The toddler side is softer and made of CertiPUR-USA memory foam. The two-sided design means your baby can use this mattress in toddlerhood.
- The Hiccapop’s core is extra thick at 3.25”, giving your baby the support and comfort they need.
- This mattress’s ultra-soft Jacquard cover is leak-free, stain-resistant, and hypoallergenic. It’s also machine washable, which makes cleaning a breeze, and has a lifetime resistance to mold, mildew, odors, bed bugs, and dust mites.
Hiccapop is dedicated to providing families with the safest high-quality products on the market. The CertiPUR-USA seal on the Dual-Sided Pack and Play Mattress guarantees that this mattress meets rigorous safety standards for content and durability. However, compared to other mattresses on our list, Hiccapop does not have as many safety certifications, which could be a drawback for parents looking for the highest-quality and safest mini-crib mattress for their child.
Hiccapop’s Dual-Sided Pack and Play Mattress is also covered by a lifetime guarantee, which covers all manufacturer defects and accidental customer damages.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Hiccapop Dual-Sided Pack and Play Mattress on Amazon.
Dream On Me is one of the most trusted baby brands in the United States, so we’re happy to recommend their Twilight Innerspring Crib and Toddler Mattress as a great option for families looking for an extremely affordable standard size crib mattress. While many standard crib mattresses are made of foam, the Twilight is a lightweight coil mattress designed to provide superior comfort and support for your baby.
- This mattress offers support and comfort, with 88 interwoven, heat-tempered coils in the middle layer and a 6-gauge steel border around the edge of the mattress providing a firm foundation for your baby’s sleep.
- The Twilight Crib and Toddler Mattress is dual-sided, ensuring comfort for both infants and toddlers.
- It comes with a reinforced, waterproof cover with lock-stitched binding. This prevents liquid stains from leaking into the mattress itself.
- Airflow pockets inside the mattress keep it fresh without metal vents.
- Cleaning and maintaining it is easy. All you need to do is wipe the mattress with mild soap and warm water. Dream on Me also recommends flipping and rotating the mattress every 2-3 months, and to ensure the cover and fitted sheets are not too tight or loose on the mattress.
All Dream On Me mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified and are manufactured in the United States. In addition, the Twilight Innerspring Crib and Toddler Mattress passes all flammability, phthalate, lead, and toxicity tests. It also carries a seal from the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA), which certifies that this mattress has been tested and passes all the standards set by the federal and state laws.
This mattress carries a 10-year limited warranty, which covers manufacturer’s defects and materials.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Dream On Me Twilight 5” Innerspring Crib and Toddler Mattress on Amazon.
If you’re looking for a toxin-free, environmentally friendly standard crib mattress, look no further than Serta’s Perfect Slumber mattress. This mattress is manufactured by Delta Children, one of the most trusted brands in baby and children’s furniture. Made from recycled materials, we think the Serta Perfect Slumber is perfect for families looking to reduce their carbon footprint and stay environmentally conscious.
- The Perfect Slumber Mattress is constructed from non-toxic materials and is free from harmful chemicals and toxic flame retardants. Its firm fiber core is made from recycled plastic bottles, which offers the firm support infants and toddlers need for safe sleeping. This mattress saves 300 plastic bottles from the landfill!
- The Perfect Slumber is dual-sided, so you can easily flip it over when your baby is ready for a softer mattress.
- Both sides of this mattress have a vinyl cover that is waterproof and easy to clean.
Delta Children prioritizes safety above all else with their products. The Serta Perfect Slumber Dual-Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified, which means it’s “made of materials with low chemical emissions,” and, like Dream on Me products, is JPMA Certified. It also meets the CPSIA’s testing for flammability, lead, and phthalates, and does not contain any toxic flame retardants. The Perfect Slumber Mattress is manufactured in the United States and includes a 7-year warranty.
Where to buy:You can purchase the Serta Perfect Slumber Dual-Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress on Amazon.
Family-owned Colgate Mattress claims to make one of the safest crib mattresses available, and their portable mini-crib mattress is no exception. Like Hiccapop’s mini-crib mattress, you can use this mattress in a portable playard or Pack and Play. If you need a secondary crib mattress but don’t want to spend quite as much money as you would with the Hiccapop, we recommend Colgate’s Portable Crib/Mini Crib Mattress.
- This mini-crib mattress is very comfortable, with three inches of plush, but firm, CertiPUR-US certified memory foam, providing extra comfort and support for your baby.
- The Portable Crib/Mini Crib Mattress features a durable, tear-resistant mattress cover. It’s also laminated, reinforced, waterproof, and easy to clean.
- It measures 24 by 38.5 inches, which means it will fit in most Pack and Plays, but always double-check the measurements of your playard beforehand.
Colgate Mattress has been making mattresses for over half a century, so you can rest assured knowing they take the quality of their products seriously. As they say on their website, there’s nothing else that’s more important to them than the safety of children, which is why they exclusively use non-toxic materials in all their mattresses. This mattress is also hypoallergenic and phthalate-free and is certified free of harmful chemicals and emissions by GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Portable Crib/Mini Crib Mattress by Colgate Mattress on Amazon.
If you’re looking for a firm, safe, and comfortable foam crib mattress for your baby or toddler at a reasonable price, the Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress or Toddler Bed Mattress may be the product for you.
- Milliard uses 28D memory foam for a “comfortably firm” mattress, which is recommended by pediatricians for healthy and safe sleeping. This foam is safe for both babies and toddlers, so you can make the transition to a toddler bed without buying a new mattress.
- It’s a perfect fit – this Milliard crib mattress is made to fit any standard crib or toddler bed without any dangerous gaps around the edges.
- The removable canvas mattress cover on the Milliard crib mattress is 100% waterproof, so there’s no need to worry about any accidents or leaks. The cover can also easily be wiped clean and isn’t crinkly like other standard crib mattresses, so your baby will sleep soundly.
Milliard claims that this mattress meets or exceeds all United States requirements for crib mattresses. Their products are also examined and analyzed periodically to ensure they meet their standards of safety and quality. However, Milliard does not list any specific certifications – like CertiPUR-US, GREENGUARD Gold, or JPMA on the product page.
There is no warranty included with this mattress, but free returns are available within a year of purchase should a problem occur.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress or Toddler Bed Mattress on Amazon.
Did you know that more babies sleep on a Sealy crib mattress than any other brand in the United States? There’s a very good reason for that. Sealy’s standard crib mattresses are some of the highest-quality and safest in the industry, and the Cozy Cool 2-Stage Coil and Gel Crib Mattress is a top-of-the-line product we highly recommend to families interested in making a significant investment in a high-quality standard crib mattress.
- Sealy’s Cozy Cool dual-sided mattress is equipped with a 204 premium steel coil system which provides the “ultimate firmness” and support for your baby. On the infant side, you’ll find natural cotton and firm hypoallergenic layers to give your baby the support they need as they grow in their sleep. The toddler side is made up of CertiPUR-US certified soybean-enhanced cooling gel foam for their comfort and support. It is made to fit both standard cribs and toddler beds.
- The edges are enhanced with border wire and six EverEdge strength pillars to keep babies safe and secure.
- Sealy’s signature CoolTex mattress cover is made up of ultra-soft woven PVC-free cotton and is waterproof and stain-resistant.
- For increased ventilation, the Cozy Cool mattress includes an airflow pocket, as well as waterproof lock-stitched binding to prevent trapping allergens, mold, and smells.
Sealy puts the health and safety of your children first with the most rigorous testing available for their products, including the Cozy Cool Crib Mattress. This mattress, made in the United States, is GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US certified and passes CPSIA testing for lead and phthalates. It also meets the Child Safe Products Act and Chemicals of High Concern to Children regulations.
Sealy offers a lifetime warranty on the workmanship and materials of the Cozy Cool 2-State Coil and Gel Crib Mattress.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Sealy Cozy Cool 2-Stage Coil and Gel Crib Mattress on Amazon.
Another big name in the world of crib mattresses, DaVinci promises to exceed the minimum safety requirements to give its customers the safest quality products. DaVinci’s Deluxe Coil Waterproof Mini-Crib Mattress is another non-standard crib mattress that will ensure your baby is safe and comfortable in their playard or Pack and Play. This way, you don’t have to sacrifice quality when it comes to outfitting your portable crib.
- The Deluxe Coil mini-crib mattress is equipped with 50 coils and a polyester fiber filling. It’s very lightweight in comparison to other mattresses equipped with a coil system, so transporting this mattress should be a breeze.
- The mattress itself is free of polyurethane foam, vinyl, and chemical flame retardants. It is also constructed to snugly fit in all standard-sized mini-cribs but always double-check your measurements.
- The tear-resistant mattress cover is very durable, and is also hypoallergenic, preventing allergens from getting trapped in the core of the mattress.
DaVinci’s top priority is your child’s safety, which is why they can ensure that their crib mattresses meet standards for safety. In fact, they surpass them! The Deluxe Coil Waterproof Mini-Crib Mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified, and also meets CA 1633 flammability requirements, meaning their mattresses are made without the use of chemical flame retardants.
The DaVinci Deluxe Coil Waterproof Mini Crib Mattress comes with a 25-year warranty.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the DaVinci Deluxe Coil Waterproof Mini-Crib Mattress on Amazon.
If you’re looking for an elite, breathable standard crib mattress for your baby that will last them through toddlerhood, look no further than Newton Baby’s Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed. While this is the most expensive mattress on our list, we still recommend checking it out if the high price point is not an obstacle, because it is one of the highest-rated crib mattresses available.
- Newton Baby’s standard crib mattress is designed with their signature Breathe-Thru Technology, which allows your baby to breathe without any obstruction, significantly reducing risks of suffocation in infants and babies. Newton Baby recommends not using a fitted sheet on this crib mattress for the first 12 months of your baby’s life to ensure maximum breathability.
- Newton Baby’s crib mattress is made up of three layers: the dual-layer outer mattress cover, which is quilted for maximum coziness; the natural viscose cover, a chemical-free alternative that exceeds national flammability standards; and the inner Wovenaire cover, which is made of 90% air and 10% food-grade polymer.
- Every layer of Newton Baby’s crib mattress is machine-washable and hypoallergenic.
- This mattress is also designed to be used from infancy to toddlerhood and will fit snugly in a standard crib or toddler bed.
- Newton Baby’s 100-night home trial with free shipping and returns means you can test the mattress out with your baby with no hassle and a full refund if it doesn’t work out.
- Newton Baby’s crib mattress is also available in four different colors: Moonlight Grey, Pink, Sky Blue, and White, so you can personalize your baby’s new crib mattress with ease.
Newton Baby’s standard crib mattress comes highly recommended not only by parents, but by pediatricians, and other medical experts. This crib mattress is independently tested and certified for low chemical emissions and is GREENGUARD Gold certified.
This mattress comes with a limited lifetime warranty that must be registered directly with Newton Baby.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed on Amazon.
Established in 2000, the Bubble Bear brand is committed to providing the most comfortable crib mattresses to families. And with a reasonable price point, this is a wonderful option for parents on the hunt for an affordable, reliable standard crib mattress that will keep their baby safe and comfortable from infancy to toddlerhood.
- The Bubble Bear mattress core is made of high-quality, breathable foam, but with reinforced edges, so your baby will be fully supported while sleeping comfortably.
- This mattress is quieter than other standard crib mattresses, with a soft, breathable cotton cover that babies can sleep on directly without using an additional fitted sheet.
- Unlike other crib mattresses on our list, the Bubble Bear crib mattress comes in the modern “mattress-in-a-box” style, which means you’ll need to wait a few days for it to reach its full thickness.
- The Bubble Bear mattress comes with a variety of fun mattress cover designs: Cute Car, Lovely Goat, and Summer Profusion, and fits snugly in a standard size crib or toddler bed.
The Bubble Bear Premium Foam Crib Mattress and Toddler Mattress is non-toxic and free from harmful chemicals and materials. It also meets flammability, lead, and phthalate testing standards and does not contain toxic flame retardants. However, there are no specific certifications listed on the product page.
There is no warranty listed on the product page, but it is eligible for free returns and refunds on Amazon.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Bubble Bear Premium Foam Crib Mattress and Toddler Mattress on Amazon.
Finally, we have the Dourxi Dual-Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress. This is a good option for parents looking for a safe but luxurious standard crib mattress for their baby or toddler. This mattress is one of the more expensive options on our list, so keep that in mind as you continue your search.
- This dual-sided mattress makes the transition from infancy to toddlerhood easy with 2-stage dual firmness on each side to meet the needs of your growing baby. The infant side features a firmer foam to properly support them as they sleep, while the toddler side features a softer foam for maximum comfort and support as they grow.
- The Dourxi crib mattress is made up of CertiPUR-US certified memory foam, so you can rest easy knowing your baby is sleeping on safe materials. Its square corners allow for a snug fit in standard-size cribs and toddler beds.
- It’s easy to clean! This mattress comes with a removable cover that is soft and breathable and is also machine-washable.
- Like the Bubble Bear crib mattress, the Dourxi Dual-Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress is conveniently packaged in the “mattress-in-a-box” style for easy delivery and transport to your home. Dourxi recommends allowing your new crib mattress to rest for 72 hours before using it to return it to its full shape.
All Dourxi’s crib mattresses are made with CertiPUR-US certified foam. However, no other certifications are listed on the product page, and Dourxi does not claim to use non-toxic materials in their crib mattresses. The Dual-Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress comes with a 100-night risk-free trial and a 10-year warranty.
Where to buy:
You can purchase the Dourxi Dual-Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress on Amazon.
As you can see, finding the perfect crib mattress for your baby takes a lot of thought and research. We highly recommend all 10 mattresses listed above based on the safety, durability, and comfort they offer to babies and toddlers alike. Before you make this important purchase, be sure to consult our list. Check out our FAQ section to answer any more questions you may have about purchasing a standard-size crib mattress.
Check Out More Of Our Crib Mattresses Reviews
Our Picks for the Top 5 Best Baby Mattresses
Here is The Complete Toddler Mattress Buying Guide and Reviewed 5 of The Best Ones
The Ultimate Guide to the Best Kids Mattress: Our Top 6 Picks
Guide to Buying The Perfect Size Crib Mattress (Plus Our Top 5 Picks)
Guide To Buying The Best Baby Crib Mattress (And Our Top 5 Picks)
Babyletto Crib Mattress: Coco Core vs Pure Core Reviewed
Here Are The 5 Best Crib And Mattress Set Bundles Reviewed
Choosing The Best Organic Crib Mattress Our Top 7 Picks
Best Cheap Crib Mattress Under $100: Get The Most Bang For Your Buck
We’ve got you covered! For more tips on buying a crib mattress, check out our buyer’s guide here!
This comes down to personal preference and whether you have the space for a standard crib in your home. However, you should consider how long a standard crib and accompanying mattress will last you, since your baby may outgrow a mini crib. Plus, most standard crib mattresses are dual-sided, with a side specifically designed for toddlers. Many standard cribs can be converted to toddler beds, so you may save money in the long run if you stick with a standard crib and mattress set.
Most standard-size crib mattresses can be used through toddlerhood. According to The Sleep Foundation, children generally transition out of using a crib between the ages of 18 months and 3 years old. However, you can save yourself money by purchasing a dual-sided crib mattress and a convertible crib, which can be easily transformed into a toddler bed.
Prices for standard crib mattresses on our recommended list range from $40 to $300. The price is affected by the quality and type of materials used, how much testing is done to ensure the mattress’ safety, and the brand.
Prices for mini-crib mattresses on our recommended list range from $40 to $80. Similar to standard-size crib mattresses, the price is affected by the materials used.
Keep an eye out for seals from GREENGUARD Gold, JMPA, CertiPUR-US, and other verifiable certifications. These certifications prove that the mattress you’re interested in has been rigorously tested by independent laboratories, is free from harmful chemicals (like flame retardants, lead, and phthalates), and is generally safe for a baby to sleep on without fear of coming in contact with dangerous chemical emissions.
Yes – GREENGUARD Gold-certified products have been more rigorously tested than those with the GREENGUARD seal. To qualify as GREENGUARD Certified, a mattress must prove it meets some of the most rigorous standards of low emissions and is free from most VOCs (volatile organic compounds). To qualify as GREENGUARD Gold, a mattress must pass tests performed by independent laboratories and prove to be free from any emissions.
Dual-sided mattresses can be flipped between the ages of 18 months and 3 years, but it really depends on when you and your child feel they’re ready to make the switch to the softer toddler side of the mattress. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your child’s pediatrician for more guidance.