Table of Contents
Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress
- Construction and Design
- Durability and Price
- How Does The Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress Compare With Its Competitors?
- What Are Consumers Saying About The Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress?
- Is the Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress for You?
- Why Choose Purple?
Sleeping is one of the most important things we can do in our lives. It regulates many of the body’s processes and allows us to feel ready to take on the challenges and joys of daily life. A mattress is one of the most integral tools out there for getting a quality night’s sleep, and inferior mattresses could leave you tossing and turning rather than resting. However, mattresses can be quite an investment, and it isn’t always easy to know which one is right for you. That’s where we come in. Our Purple mattress review will take you through all major aspects of the company’s GelFlex grid, how it works, and why the product might be just right for your needs. Want to skip the details? See a summary of the Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress here.
Construction and Design
From the bottom up, the Purple GelFlex mattress begins with a standard mattress frame using the purple accents people have come to know from the company. After the foundation is laid for the product, the different layers of the Purple mattress GelFlex grid start to take off. The founders understood that a combination of both softness and firmness was essential to a good night’s rest, so they began with various comfort foam layers.
- Comfort Foam Layers: After the base, Purple mattresses start with a minimum of two comfort foam layers. In most cases, these will be two thick pads that combine a soft, cushioning zone with a firmer area right over the top of it. Both layers of foam are packed with density to give sleepers a product that is both durable and relaxing at the same time.
- The Purple GelFlex Grid: After the dual layers of foam, it is time to add the signature Purple piece. The Purple mattress GelFlex grid utilizes the special polymers developed at the company to give each mattress a stretchy feel. While somewhat similar to standard memory foam, the GelFlex grid is a specialized layer meant to adapt almost instantly to changing body positions or needs. The result is a layer that gives off some firm buoyancy along with a supportive, almost cradle-like feeling of comfort.
- SoftFlex Knit Cover: To achieve the maximum responsiveness and detail that goes into the GelFlex grid, Purple adds the SoftFlex cover to the top layer of their mattresses. This knitted cover can look appealing and complete the aesthetic of the Purple GelFlex 9″ mattress. However, its key mission is to help you feel just how instantly and completely the patented polymer grid technology can respond to your changing needs as you get comfortable.
The GelFlex grid is certainly the centerpiece of any Purple mattress out there today. However, the specific parts of the manufacturing process bring different features to the overall product design. Perhaps the most striking thing about manufacturing at Purple is the machinery they use to develop the polymers. Because the Hyper-Elastic Polymer is specific to Purple, the company also develops machines to refine its development of it. In addition, this equipment is used only at dedicated Purple manufacturing sites and not found anywhere else in the world, according to the company’s founders. The polymer has several features that make it ideal for Purple mattress hybrid manufacturing processes. You’ll be able to see some of the main features that go into these mattresses in the section below.
Further, researchers at Purple are always attempting to build on the basics found in the Hyper-Elastic Polymer. Part of the manufacturing process starts with figuring out where sleepers might experience the most discomfort. From there, the factories develop prototype materials or mattresses as soon as possible. This allows them to move into testing phases quickly to figure out what works and what needs tweaking.
No Purple mattress review could skip out on some of the key features that make these products so unique within the industry. Mattresses are an important consideration in daily life, but many of them can look or feel similar to one another. The features inside a Purple mattress GelFlex grid are part of the main reason the company can stand out from the crowd.
- Cooling: Purple guarantees that sleepers won’t get too hot when using one of their mattresses. Part of this guarantee comes from the nature and makeup of the GelFlex grid itself. This entire grid is composed of many tiny squares that interlock with each other. The spaces in the squares allow heat to escape more easily than it might in some other mattresses. Sleepers should be able to use blankets to keep warm in colder weather without getting too hot underneath.
- Edge Support: If you tend to sleep on the extreme left or right sides of the bed, a Purple mattress could be a great choice for you. The edge support systems in these mattresses add extra layers of dense foam around the sides of the bed for those who like to sleep on the far sides.
- Motion Isolation: For those who sleep with partners, almost no motion should be felt when there is any tossing or turning. The Purple GelFlex mattress grid has a buoyancy that works to absorb the motions of moving bodies. This feature is intended to help each person get undisturbed rest at night.
Purple GelFlex mattresses are meant to be both firm and soft simultaneously. They can achieve this feat by using the grid’s technology. The squares keep the back and legs supported firmly, but the shoulders and hips should have more give to them. This combination allows for a cushioning effect where it’s needed.
Because of the way it can be firm or soft in the proper areas, many reviewers state that a Purple mattress should be good for all types of sleepers. Unlike some other mattresses, people say that the ones from Purple should be suitable for back, stomach, or side sleepers. The GelFlex grid tends to be the right amount of firmness for stomach and back sleepers, and it relieves enough pressure to accommodate side sleepers as well.
|Dimensions||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King, Split King|
|Firmness||Soft and Firm|
|Extra Features||GelFlex Grid technology|
|Certifications||CertiPUR-US, Clean Air GOLD certified|
Durability and Price
With any mattress being an investment, we know you want to be sure that you’ll get a good product. A durable mattress that will last a long time could be worth a somewhat higher price point in the long run. We’ll assess some of the features that make Purple’s mattresses durable and compare this longevity to the starting prices.
How Long Will A Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress Last?
Many reviewers describe Purple mattress hybrids as very long-lasting and durable. The polymers and foam layers used in many Purple grid mattresses are both malleable yet durable at the same time. Most people seem to find that hybrid models like some that Purple makes tend to have greater longevity than other models. Exact numbers can depend on a variety of factors, but many Purple mattress reviews from consumers say that they’ve had no issues with their mattresses lasting at least a decade at a minimum.
It is worth noting that foam layers can be somewhat less durable than the more traditional steel coils used in other mattresses. However, Purple states that the mattress should be able to stretch up to 15 times its original size or shape. This, coupled with its ability to resist forming impressions that make lumps, further increases Purple GelFlex mattress longevity figures.
The Purple mattress can have a somewhat higher price tag than some similar models on the market. Some users claim that the price is a bit higher than what they would normally pay for a mattress. However, even these users are quick to point out that the value they get for the product seems to be worth it. Purple has already made a name for itself as a trusted company, and the backing and guarantees of the warranty also help.
Further, most people find that the added features that go into Purple’s technology provide incredible value for the price. It’s a mattress that is either firm or soft in all the right spots, well-made with proprietary materials, and good for many types of sleepers. Overall, any Purple mattress with GelFlex Grid technology appears to be a good value for the price point. The flexible and stretchy nature of the grid also suggests that it will be hard-wearing and durable, keeping its shape for many years.
How Does The Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress Compare With Its Competitors?
Convenient shipping and setup options are just a few of the things that could make your purchase of a Purple GelFlex mattress that much easier. Here are the current standard ways you can get and assemble the mattress of your choice when you buy from Purple.
Purple offers several shipping options of various tiers for your convenience. Here is a short breakdown of the main options you can choose from when you purchase your Purple Hybrid.
- Standard Ground Shipping: This is typically the cheapest option, and your mattress should arrive within 5-10 business days of leaving the warehouse.
- Delivery With Setup: Thanks to this option, you can have your Purple GelFlex Grid mattress brought right to you. This method applies to all mattress and bedframe orders, and Purple’s professionals will set up everything for you while leaving your previous mattress with you.
- Setup and Removal: For the premium option, you can order a mattress and bedframe while specifying that you’d like Purple to take your old mattress away. For standard set up or set up and removal convenience, there is an additional charge that is typically $200.
Purple wants all customers to be satisfied with their products, but it’s hard to know if a mattress is right for you on the first night or two. That’s why the company offers a 100-night trial period as part of its standard agreement. You’ll have several weeks to try out the mattress of your choice. In most cases, returns will need to be made within this period as well. It’s easy to return a Purple Hybrid mattress within this trial period after testing it for at least 21 days and making sure it is clean.
Purple offers a limited warranty of 10 years as a standard part of all mattress purchases. This warranty period begins on the original purchase date of the item or upon transfer to another user, whichever span is shorter. Any defect in the mattress that is found to be part of the manufacturing process is covered under this warranty. This guarantee includes problems related to workmanship or materials, and the company will replace or repair your item. A period of 10 years is fairly standard within the industry, with most warranties covering 10 to 20 years. Some companies may offer longer or shorter warranties, but it is important to keep in mind that a warranty period is not necessarily the same as the expected life of the mattress.
What Are Consumers Saying About The Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress?
With many reviews from satisfied customers, there are some key things that seem to pop up regularly regarding these mattresses. Most of the reports seem to be overwhelmingly positive. We’ll go over some of the most talked about pros, and we’ll clue you in on one or two minor areas where some consumers would like to see a bit of improvement.
- Excellent cooling technology
- Buoyant and responsive
- Works for all sleeping positions
- Has a balance between firm/soft
- Very durable construction
- One-of-a-kind GelFlex Grid
- Can’t sink into the bed
- Could stretch the budget
Is the Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress for You?
With so many features packed into the Purple GelFlex Grid mattress, it’s hard to beat the flexibility for the price here. The company began with two brothers taking a genuine interest in helping people mitigate pain and get a better night’s rest. Since then, Purple tries to innovate continually and find new solutions to make its products even better. The special Hyper-Elastic Polymer is durable yet stretchy, and it can conform to almost any sleeper type or position. You have just the right amount of firmness, great edge support, cooling, and the qualities of memory foam without the sagging.
Given all of these characteristics, the Purple 9″ GelFlex Grid Mattress can be a great bargain for most sleepers. Some consumers may find that they need more support for their size, but Purple offers several hybrid models that could work here as well. With a long trial period, quick returns, and home setup for a bit extra, it’s easy to give Purple a try.
Why Choose Purple?
Founders Terry and Tony Pierce don’t see Purple as just a mattress or sleep aid company. For them, Purple is a comfort company first and foremost, and the goal is to bring all their customers the maximum in relaxation. The Purple GelFlex mattress line is a huge part of that vision. The siblings each had backgrounds that made their expertise a critical part of Purple’s seemingly overnight success. Terry knows the ins and outs of manufacturing, and Tony brings aerospace engineering insights to the patented GelFlex grid. The two brothers began collaborating by designing and selling medical devices. Eventually, they wanted to expand their efforts to help people achieve comfort or manage pain. The journey to creating the perfect mattress started with decades of research, culminating in what they referred to as “Hyper-Elastic Polymer,” their own spin on mattress technology.
In just a few short years, Purple has become the well-known corporate name and signature color of the brand’s products. The company has a reputation for exceptional quality at prices that tend to be more affordable than some competing mattresses, and all backed up by years of research. We’ll take you through some of the high points of Purple’s mark of quality.
Yes, each layer of foam that comes with the Purple mattress hybrid can be adjusted to find your specific comfort levels. You can choose between one half and one full inch, and you can mix and match layers to suit your preferences.
Yes, the company says that any flat, level foundation should work great for any of the Purple GelFlex mattress models that you might choose. Some common options include platforms, box springs, or slats. Purple suggests that the mattress will remain comfortable even on the floor.
Purple recommends that you spot clean any stains that might appear on your mattress. Standard cleaning solutions and enzymes should work best here without harming the mattress. Check specific cleaning product solutions before use to be sure.
Purple reports that many of their customers experience better sleep within the first few nights of using a Purple Hybrid mattress. However, they note that it might take a few weeks for some mattresses to adjust fully to the needs of their users.
Purple recommends first placing the unrolled GelFlex mattress on your bed foundation horizontally. From there, cut off the first layer of plastic encasing the mattress. Once done, unroll the Purple mattress as you would normally. Finally, remove the second layer of plastic to allow the mattress to expand properly.