Table of Contents
- What Is an Organic Mattress?
- Why Choose an Organic Mattress?
- What are the Cons of Organic Mattresses?
- Naturepedic: About the Brand
- Organic Crib Mattress Types Offered by Naturepedic
- Review of the Top 4 Naturpedic Crib Mattresses
We know how important choosing a crib mattress is. Especially for newborns, it is crucial to choose a mattress that would be perfect for several reasons, such as the development of the right posture. And we also realize how overwhelming this decision may be for you taking into consideration the abundance of choices in the market.
The first months of the child’s life are spent mostly sleeping. This proves the point that the comfort of the newborn baby’s crib is a priority for the parent. And surely every parent wants to choose the best option possible. Lately, as with everything else, the preferences of people have shifted to organic products and crib mattresses are not an exception. But what does an organic crib mattress mean?
There are also many organic crib mattresses offered in the market as well. So here you may face difficulty in landing your final purchase decision as well. But no need to worry, as in this article we present one of the best organic crib mattress producer brands: Naturepedic. But why is Naturepedic the best option for your baby’s crib? We go deep into detail about every organic crib mattress type that Naturepedic offers, making clear comparison points and objective reviews of customer feedback that we found online.
What Is an Organic Mattress?
Organic mattresses are mostly made from organic ingredients. Some of those most used ingredients include cotton, wool, and latex. However, recently a new “trend” called greenwashing has been widely spread in the market of organic goods. It relates to the products that claim to be organic but lack all necessary certifications to earn that title. So, besides reading the ingredients label on the mattress, make sure to check the appropriate certifications as well. Some of those that you can look for are the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) or the USDA Organic Seal. Now let’s understand the benefits of organic mattresses in general.
Why Choose an Organic Mattress?
As we already mentioned above, choosing the right mattress is one of the most important decisions that every parent has to make for their newborn. And one reason is strictly related to the materials used in the production of the mattress, as the baby’s skin is going to be in direct touch with it. Also, taking into consideration that the baby’s skin is extra sensitive, you have to be careful with choosing the right organic crib mattress. Below are some of the benefits of organic mattresses.
- Almost no toxins: Some of the toxic materials that are used in the production of non-organic mattresses are formaldehyde, benzene, or poly-foam. The negative effect of those toxins is in the harmful emissions that they create over time. You may not notice at first, but after some time even the air in the room where that particular non-organic mattress is located will change. And you surely do not want your baby to sleep in such a place. Moreover, due to the direct contact with the baby’s skin, the emission process is even more accelerated. They can cause several adverse effects such as headaches or nausea.
- Sensitive skin: During the first several months, babies have the most sensitive skin. They are very prone to allergies, itching, and rash if the mattress contains some toxins. This is one of the many reasons choosing an organic mattress is the best option for you and your baby. However, you should still pay close attention to your baby’s reaction to latex. Even though there are many organic crib mattresses made from 100% organic latex, it is still likely to cause skin issues. The problem can be avoided by choosing either cotton or wool.
- Cooler sleep: Due to several toxic emissions that we talked about in the first paragraph of this section, the baby’s body temperature heats up from the touch with the non-organic mattress. This is very uncomfortable, as no matter the side the baby turns to, the mattress is still hot. This is never a problem with organic crib mattresses.
- Durability: The organic materials, such as wool and cotton, used in the production of organic crib mattresses, are more durable. Hence, these mattresses serve for a longer period. And this is surely one of the most sought out advantages.
- No odor: Non-organic mattresses are responsible for harmful ingredient emissions, which change both the overall temperature and the odor of the room where the crib of the baby is placed. To avoid the generation of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), you should opt for organic mattresses.
- Caring for the environment: The organic materials used in the production of the organic crib mattresses are not only harmless for the environment but also the ways they were retrieved are environmentally friendly.
What are the Cons of Organic Mattresses?
It may seem that an organic crib mattress has no flaws. However, it is only fair that we discuss some pitfalls as well before moving forward. Below you can read about some of the most common drawbacks.
- Higher price: Compared to semi-organic or non-organic mattresses, organic ones have naturally higher prices. This is mostly explained by the fact that most of the materials used are quite hard to get and work with. But the benefits offered are worth the price.
- Latex organic mattresses: As stated previously, latex can cause allergic reactions, no matter the organic nature. That is why you should watch out for any possible skin irritations that your child may have for latex before buying an organic crib mattress made entirely from latex.
- Greenwashing: We already explained this statement in the sections above. Before trusting the “organic” label, make sure to check all the certifications that the crib mattress should have to be considered organic.
- Not so many options: Even though organic crib mattresses are popular right now, there are not so many options in the market that offer both high-quality and affordable prices.
Naturepedic: About the Brand
Naturepedic was founded in 2003 in the USA. The company does not only offer products for babies but also kids and adults. It supports the organic movement both by not using any chemicals in the production process and by taking care of the environment. The brand has many stores across the USA and is very accessible.
The history of the brand is quite interesting. The founder of Naturepedic, Barry A. Cick, has vast experience in environmental engineering. Once, while he was searching for a crib mattress for his grandchild, he realized that all of the mattresses available in the market at that time were made from harmful chemicals. As he knew a great deal about the adverse effects those chemicals could have on the baby’s health, he decided to establish his own production of organic crib mattresses.
One of the most notable features of the brand is the patented waterproof surface of the Naturepedic organic crib mattresses. They are made of non-GMO sugarcane and are responsible for the breathable function of the mattresses. Moreover, the brand is certified according to the GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard), as well as GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard).
Another important detail to mention about Naturepedic crib mattresses is that they are free from several harmful chemicals, such as polyurethane foam or vinyl. Because of this, Naturepedic organic crib mattresses are used in hospitals across the USA. This achievement of the company is yet another proof of the overall reliability of the brand.
Organic Crib Mattress Types Offered by Naturepedic
There are several types of Naturepedic organic crib mattresses, which include classic, breathable, breathable ultra, mini crib, and oval. In this section, we will look at each category separately and explain the differences. Later on, we will look at 4 specific Naturepedic organic crib mattresses.
The Classic product line of Naturepedic is known for its solid and easy-to-clean design. Some of the features that all mattresses from this line possess are:
- Waterproof surface made from organic cotton
- Organic cotton batting
- 150-coil innerspring
- Lightweight, which makes lifting very easy
The mattresses are made from organic cotton that is purchased from USDA-certified sources. Another notable feature of the Classic Naturepedic organic crib mattresses is the harmless and waterproof cover. It is so pure that it even meets the food contact standards. Moreover, these mattresses feature a pla layer, which adds resilience and ensures high performance. And the lightweight characteristic of the mattress is due to the patented wave support system.
Additionally, we would like to mention the dual firmness of the mattress. Why is it beneficial? It allows switching over the mattress when the baby has grown into a toddler. This means that you can make use of the Naturepedic organic crib mattress even for a longer period.
In the end, we would like to provide you with information about several mattresses from the Classic product line of Naturepedic in the table below.
|MC34||Lightweight/ 2-stage||$289||11 lbs.|
|MC32||Innerspring 150 coil||$299||19 lbs.|
The Breathable product line by Naturepedic features extra breathability and a more waterproof surface. What do you get with Naturepedic Breathable organic crib mattresses?
- Removable, breathable, and waterproof layer made with organic cotton
- Easily washable cover
- Extra firmness
- Organic cotton batting
- 252-coil innerspring
- Patented wave support system
This product line from Naturepedic is all about the extra comfort of the baby. Especially during the first few months, babies tend to cry over very small inconveniences. So, ensuring that they are comfortable is very important. The airflow inside the Naturepedic organic mattress makes sure that the temperature is not too high, and the baby does not have a sweaty back.
The fabric used in the production of these mattresses is 3 dimensional, which ensures constant air circulation. Moreover, the breathable layer is in a form of coverage that can be easily removed and washed. And in case of an accident, you can just replace the cover with the spare one until you wash it.
Please find below dome mattresses from the Breathable line of Naturepedic.
|MC46||Lightweight/ 2-stage||$349||14 lbs.|
|MC46C||Innerspring 252-coil||$379||19 lbs.|
|PC46||Additional breathable cover||$99||1.5 lbs.|
If you are looking for even more breathability for your baby’s organic crib mattress, then you are looking at the right product category. Breathable Ultra product line from the Naturepedic features:
- Easily removed and easily washed organic cotton surface
- Waterproof coating
- Firm support
- Organic cotton batting
- 252-coil innerspring
With these mattresses, airflow is ensured for the whole duration of the baby’s sleep. You can rest assured that your baby is sleeping comfortably and will not wake up with a sweaty back. And due to the organic cotton and the pla layer, there is no chance of any harmful chemical emissions either.
Learn more about the organic crib mattresses included in this product line in the table below.
|MC47||Lightweight/ 2-stage||$399||14 lbs.|
|MC47C||Innerspring 252 coil||$429||19 lbs.|
|PC47||Additional breathable cover||$129||1.5 lbs.|
The Mini Crib product line by Naturepedic is made for newborn babies. The functionalities of the mattress are the same as those of the breathable mattresses from Naturepedic. However, the sizes are much smaller. What are the benefits that you get?
- 3-dimensional breathable cover
- Waterproof coating
- Pla batting
- Organic cotton layer
- Wave support system
With the lifetime limited warranty, you can rest assured that any issues encountered with the mattress will be solved by the Naturepedic customer support team. Additionally, we would like to highlight once more the certifications that these mattresses possess, which proves the true organic nature of Naturepedic products. Those certifications are GOTS and Made-Safe.
There is only one type of mattress in the Mini Crib product line. Please find the necessary information about it below.
|MC46-MN||Mini Crib||$279||8 lbs.|
|PC46-MN||Additional breathable cover||$69||1 lb.|
Naturepedic does not only offer organic mattresses according to the age of the user but also according to the shape of the baby’s crib. If you opted for an oval crib for your newborn, then the oval organic crib mattress from Naturepedic is just for you.
In addition to all the already mentioned benefits, such as waterproof cover made from non-GMO sugarcane, breathability, organic cotton, and wave support system, you also get a protector pad and an extra sheet with the product.
Please refer to the table below for additional information about the product’s price and dimensions.
Review of the Top 4 Naturpedic Crib Mattresses
This mattress is from the Classic line of the Naturepedic. It has a 2-stage firmness, which guarantees a long-serving life. The waterproof surface makes sure that in case of an accident, the cover can be easily removed and washed.
Additionally, the mattress is lightweight, which makes it very easy to lift and turn, in case the baby has grown. Moreover, the certifications of the mattress prove it to be 100% organic, without any harmful emissions that may cause skin irritation or allergies for your baby.
The dimensions of the product are 52 x 28 x 6 inches, and the weight is 12 pounds. And in the table below, we have summarized some of the main advantages and disadvantages of this product.
|Dimensions||52 x 28 x 6 inches|
|Certifications||GOTS, UL and GreenGuard Gold Certified|
This organic mattress is from the Breathable line of Naturepedic. It features a 2-stage structure, which means that when your baby grows into a toddler, you can easily switch the mattress around. Moreover, the 3-dimensional surface ensures breathability. Why is it important? Because your baby constantly shifts during sleep, their body temperature must not be too high. Otherwise, the whole sleeping experience will be extremely uncomfortable for the baby.
In addition, the 100% organic cotton material eliminates the chance of harmful chemical emissions. This is a very important factor that you should take into serious consideration.
The dimensions of this mattress are 52 x 27.5 x 6 inches, and the weight is 14 pounds.
|Dimensions||52 x 27.5 x 6 inches|
|Extra Features||Waterproof, Built-in Protector Pad|
|Certifications||GOTS, Made-Safe and GreenGuard Gold certified|
The construction type of this Naturepedic organic crib mattress is innerspring and organic cotton. In addition to all the benefits that all Naturepedic mattresses possess, due to the innerspring, this mattress offers exceptional comfort for the baby. The innerspring also offers wire support for the extra support. And the organic cotton used in the production of the mattress is responsible for the breathability and harmless nature of this product.
The dimensions of this product are 52 x 27 x 10 inches, and the weight is 19 pounds.
|Dimensions||52 x 27 x 10 inches|
|Construction||Innerspring Coils, Organic Cotton|
|Certifications||GOTS, MADE-SAFE and GreenGuard Certified|
This organic crib mattress offers improved airflow due to its 3-dimensional structure. So, you can rest assured that your baby is sleeping comfortably and will not wake up with a sweaty back. Additionally, the natural waterproof coating of this mattress is made from organic sugarcane, which makes cleaning the mattress very easy in case of an accident.
The sizes of the mattress are 52 x 27.75 x 6 inches, and the product weighs 14 pounds.
|Dimensions||52 x 27.75 x 6 inches|
|Certifications||GOTS, UL, and GreenGuard Gold certified|
|Specification||Classic||Breathable||Breathable Ultra||Mini Crib||Oval|
|Dimensions||27.25 x 51 x 6 inches||27.25 x 51 x 6 inches||27.25 x 51 x 6 inches||23.5 x 37.5 x 3 inches||27 x 47 x 3 inches|
|Weight||10-11 lbs.||14-19 lbs.||14-19 lbs.||8 lbs.||6.15 lbs.|
|Material||Organic cotton||Organic cotton||Organic cotton||Organic cotton||Organic cotton|
|Depth||6 inches||6 inches||6 inches||3 inches||3 inches|
|Extra Features||Waterproof, Hypoallergenic, Antibacterial||Waterproof, Hypoallergenic, Antibacterial||Waterproof, Hypoallergenic, Antibacterial||Waterproof, Hypoallergenic, Antibacterial||Waterproof, Hypoallergenic, Antibacterial|
|Warranty||1-year limited||1-year limited||1-year limited||1-year limited||1-year limited|
Check Out More Of Our Crib Mattresses Reviews
Our Picks for the Top 5 Best Baby Mattresses
Here is The Complete Toddler Mattress Buying Guide and Reviewed 5 of The Best Ones
We Reviewed the 5 Top-Rated Cot Mattresses
Guide to Buying The Perfect Size Crib Mattress (Plus Our Top 5 Picks)
Guide To Buying The Best Baby Crib Mattress (And Our Top 5 Picks)
Is There A Standard Crib Mattress Size? Yes, But There’s Wiggle Room
Here Are The 5 Best Crib And Mattress Set Bundles Reviewed
Choosing The Best Organic Crib Mattress Our Top 7 Picks
Best Cheap Crib Mattress Under $100: Get The Most Bang For Your Buck
All Naturepedic crib mattresses are made in the USA.
According to some customer reviews, we found out that Naturepedic mattresses fit the IKEA crib perfectly. However, you should still check the size of the mattress that you order. We have provided those details in the sections above.
The owner of the Naturepedic mattresses is Berry Cik.
According to both the warranty and the customer reviews, Naturepedic mattresses generally last for as long as 10 years.