Table of Contents
Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Construction and Design
- Durability and Price
- What Are Consumers Saying About the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress?
- Is the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress for You?
- Why Choose Lucid?
We all know how important it is to get a good night’s sleep, but buying a mattress that leaves us feeling refreshed and invigorated when we wake up in the morning usually involves spending quite a bit of money. Lucid is a company that claims to buck this trend with a range of high-quality mattresses at affordable prices, but are they really as good as people are saying?
This review of the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress will get to the bottom of that question with an in-depth analysis of this popular model’s features, and we will also let you know what consumers who have bought this Lucid mattress have to say about their purchase. Want to skip the details? See a summary of the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress here.
Construction and Design
You don’t buy a mattress very often, so you want a durable product made out of quality materials when you do. This section will cover the way Lucid mattresses are made, how durable they are, what features they have, and how they compare to other mattresses on the market.
This Lucid Gel Memory Foam Mattress has three layers to deliver a great combination of comfort and support. The bottom layer provides this mattress with its firmness, and the top layer makes the mattress more comfortable to sleep on. These two primary layers are placed above and below a layer of transition foam. Like all multilayer memory foam mattresses, this Lucid mattress must rest on a bed frame or base with the comfort layer uppermost, which means it cannot be flipped. Let’s take a closer look at how this Lucid 10-inch plush gel memory foam mattress is made:
- Firmness layer: Lucid uses a thick layer of dense bamboo charcoal-infused foam to provide support for the entire body. This layer will be thicker if you choose a firm mattress and thinner if you choose a Lucid plush mattress.
- Transitional layer: Lucid gives its gel memory foam mattress extra cushioning by placing a layer of polyurethane foam between the comfort and support layers. This extra layer will also prevent you from sinking into this mattress too deeply.
- Comfort layer: The top layer of this Lucid mattress is made out of memory foam infused with an advanced gel material. This layer also has a ventilated design to improve airflow and draw heat away from the body. If you are a hot sleeper, you will really appreciate this feature.
- Cover: Lucid finishes its 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress with a Tencel-blend fabric cover that improves breathability and helps to control moisture. It also allows for a comfortable layer of air between the cover and the mattress surface.
Lucid mattresses are designed in the United States and manufactured in China. These mattresses are made under the exact conditions necessary to ensure they meet requirements laid down by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
You will know at a glance that Lucid mattresses are made according to strict standards because they are all CertiPUR-US certified. This is a certification program administered by a nonprofit organization that ensures foam products sold in the United States are safe to use and environmentally friendly. The CertiPUR-US seal tells you that a mattress has been thoroughly tested for content, performance, durability, and emissions and does not contain:
- Substances that deplete the earth’s ozone layer
- Potentially hazardous flame retardants like TCEP, TDCPP, and PBDE
- Heavy metals like mercury and lead
- Toxic substances like formaldehyde
- Phthalates that are regulated by the federal government
In addition to checking for potentially dangerous substances, the CertiPUR-US certification process tests mattresses to make sure they do not release harmful levels of toxic gas, which is a problem the industry has been struggling with for years. When you see a CertiPUR-US seal on a mattress, you will know that its volatile organic compound emissions are less than 0.5 parts per million.
Lucid’s rigorous approach to manufacturing and advanced materials give its range of gel memory foam mattresses some useful features and benefits. If you have been hesitant to purchase a memory foam mattress in the past, Lucid products could change your mind. The benefits of sleeping on a Lucid gel memory foam mattress include:
- Better cooling: Memory foam mattresses have always been comfortable, but some of them can get uncomfortably hot. Lucid avoids this problem with memory foam that has a ventilated design and is infused with gel to improve airflow and draw heat down and away from the body.
- More support: Memory foam is not particularly supportive, which means many of the mattresses made out of it are unsuitable for people who suffer from neck or back problems or prefer to sleep on a firm surface. Lucid solves this problem by adding a dense layer of foam made with bamboo fibers and infused with charcoal to provide a level of support that rivals that of even the priciest innerspring mattresses.
- Less motion transfer: Lucid’s gel memory foam prevents motion transfer because it hugs the contours of the body. This is something you will come to appreciate if you are often awakened in the middle of the night by a partner’s tossing and turning.
Lucid offers its 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress in these firmness options:
- Firm: This is the firmest mattress in the range, but consumers who choose this option do not have to sacrifice comfort, as it has 2.5” of gel memory foam. This mattress also has 6.5” of charcoal base foam and 1” of transitional foam, and it is a good choice for back or stomach sleepers and people who prefer a firmer mattress.
- Medium: This is a middle-of-the-road option that is ideal for couples with different firmness preferences as it offers a great balance of comfort and support. This firmness level has 5.5” of charcoal base foam, 1.5” of transitional foam, and 3” of gel memory foam.
- Plush: This firmness option has 4.5” of charcoal base foam, 2” of transitional foam, and a whopping 3.5” of gel memory foam to provide unparalleled comfort. This is the best option for side sleepers as it relieves pressure on the hips, shoulders, and lower back. The Lucid plush gel memory foam mattress is also a good choice for people who prefer a softer sleeping surface.
|Dimensions||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, Short Queen, King, Cal King, Split King|
|Construction||Gel Memory Foam|
|Extra Features||Gel-infused memory foam, Compatible with adjustable bases,|
Durability and Price
You expect the products you buy to be durable and offer great value as well as useful features, so let’s take a look at how the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress measures up when we examine these criteria. Are lucid memory foam mattresses good? Let’s find out.
How Long Will a Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress Last?
How long a Lucid Gel Memory Foam Mattress will last will be determined to a great extent by who sleeps on it and how often. Mattresses in guest rooms that are used only occasionally will always last longer than mattresses in master bedrooms, and heavier sleepers put more pressure on innerspring and coil mattresses than lighter sleepers. With that said, you can expect a Lucid memory foam mattress to provide a comfortable and supportive sleeping surface for at least 10 years, even if you sleep on it every night and have put on some weight over the years.
You can be confident that a Lucid mattress will last this long because the company warranties its products for 10 years. Seeing the Amazon Choice label adds another layer of confidence because it reveals that consumers are happy with their purchases, and few are returning these mattresses.
Mattress prices have crept up in recent years as manufacturers have added new features and advanced materials to stay one step ahead of the competition, but Lucid has earned a reputation for offering all of the latest advances at far more affordable prices.
The Lucid gel memory foam line, like all mattress lines, becomes progressively more expensive as sizes increase, but they all offer exceptional value. The twin Lucid 10” Memory Foam Mattress costs less than $200, and a king-size model can be had for under $500. Getting the same cooling and comfort features from other mattress manufacturers could easily cost a lot more.
Lucid mattresses are all Amazon Choice products, which suggests that consumers who purchased them were happy with the buying experience. Let’s take a look at that experience in more detail so you will know what to expect if you decide this Lucid mattress is right for you.
If you hate to pay shipping and handling costs, you will be happy to learn that Lucid offers free shipping on all mattresses ordered on Amazon. The company also maintains a sizable inventory, so you can expect to receive your mattress in three to five business days. If you are an Amazon Prime member, your new mattress could arrive even sooner. Lucid mattresses are usually shipped by UPS, and tracking numbers are sent to customers to make sure they always know when to expect delivery.
Lucid packages are fairly manageable because the company compresses and rolls their mattresses before placing them in boxes. The standard box Lucid uses to ship a queen-size mattress is 16” wide, 16” tall, and 62” long. Twin and full-size mattress boxes are a little shorter, and king-size mattress boxes are a little longer.
When you open a Lucid box, you will find the mattress protected by two layers of plastic, but this plastic is not very thick, and it is quite easy to remove. Once the plastic is out of the way, the mattress should be unrolled and given time to regain its shape. This can take up to 48 hours. All foam mattresses release tiny amounts of gas, and these gases tend to build up when mattresses are stored in plastic. That’s why it’s always a good idea to leave foam mattresses in a well-ventilated room while they decompress.
Like most products sold on Amazon, Lucid mattresses can be returned for a full refund within 30 days as long as they are not damaged. However, returning a foam mattress is not always easy. If you do not have access to compression equipment, putting a Lucid mattress back inside the box it was shipped in will not be possible.
Lucid mattresses come with a 10-year warranty that runs from the original date of purchase. The Lucid warranty protects consumers against defects in workmanship or materials, but it does not cover mattresses that are damaged by abuse, accidents, or unauthorized repairs. Slight changes in softness over time and impressions less than 1.5” deep are normal with memory foam mattresses, so they are not covered by the Lucid warranty. Only the original purchaser may submit a Lucid warranty claim, and they are expected to provide a receipt or other proof of purchase. When a Lucid mattress proves to be defective, the company may:
- Repair the mattress
- Replace the mattress
- Issue a refund
Lucid allows customers to register their mattresses online. This is not required, but it is highly recommended. Registration makes submitting a warranty claim a lot easier, and it also provides consumers with another proof of purchase. This additional proof of purchase could come in handy if you lose your receipt and have to file an insurance claim.
What Are Consumers Saying About the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress?
Lucid mattresses are Amazon Choice products, which means that their reviews are very good. Most customers give this mattress high marks for comfort, and many say they were surprised by how light it is compared to an innerspring mattress. Some Lucid plush mattress reviews complained about decompression taking two days, but this is to be expected when mattresses are shipped in boxes.
Overall, customer reactions to this mattress can be summed up with the following pros and cons:
- Great value for money
- Ships in a box
- Extremely comfortable
- Three firmness options
- Excellent cooling features
- Even support
- Many sizes available10-year warranty
- Hard to get back into the original box
- Cannot be flipped
- Takes a long time to decompress
Is the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress for You?
The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress is a great choice if you are looking for a sleep solution that will last for years and keep you cool and comfortable every night. The company even offers a queen short size that is perfect for RVs and motor homes. Lucid’s ventilated gel memory foam improves comfort by drawing heat away from sleepers, and it also hugs the body to minimize motion transfer. Most memory foam mattresses are firm, but Lucid also offers medium and plush options.
This is a very good product offered at an extremely attractive price, but it may not be an ideal choice for people who prefer the traditional feel of an innerspring mattress. It also lacks the bounce of an innerspring mattress, which may make it less fun for kids who like to play on their beds.
Why Choose Lucid?
Lucid started manufacturing mattresses in 2010, and the company has carved out a place for itself in a very competitive market by offering premium quality at affordable prices. Lucid sells almost all of its mattresses online, and most of them are purchased from Amazon.
Standing out from the crowd on Amazon is not easy for a new company with no track record to point to, but Lucid managed this feat with aggressive pricing, family-focused marketing messages, and excellent customer support. This approach has really paid off for Lucid because the company’s products are now among the site’s most popular mattresses, and they have all earned the coveted Amazon Choice label.
This is a real milestone for a fledgling company because outselling industry giants and earning the Amazon Choice label is far from easy. Only products that are highly regarded by consumers, available for immediate shipment, and offered at extremely competitive prices receive this distinction, and they lose it if they are returned frequently, or customers complain. This review will cover one of Lucid’s most popular memory foam mattresses, but the company also offers latex and hybrid models, fixed and adjustable bed frames, and a wide range of bedding and mattress accessories.
Lucid gel memory foam mattresses can be placed on platforms, box springs, metal grids, or slatted bases as long as the slats are not more than 3” apart. This mattress is also flexible enough to be used with an adjustable base.
Lucid gel memory foam mattresses take up to 48 hours to decompress fully, but you do not have to wait that long to sleep on them. Your mattress will have regained most of its shape after just a few hours of decompression, but it will not provide optimal levels of comfort and support until it is fully decompressed.
Memory foam mattresses should not be used on folding beds or futons because they do not have enough flex for these applications. However, they are flexible enough for an adjustable base.
This really depends on the way you sleep. If you sleep on your back or stomach, you will probably feel most comfortable on a firm or medium mattress. If you sleep on your side, you should choose a plush mattress as it will put less stress on your shoulders, neck, and back.
If you are used to sleeping on a soft surface, a firm mattress may feel a little strange or even uncomfortable at first. If your mattress still feels a bit on the firm side after a week or so of use, try adding a memory foam topper to soften it up.