Table of Contents
- What Is a Cooling Mattress? How Does It Work?
- How Does It Help For Hot Sleepers?
- Cooling Mattress Buying Guide
- Review Of The 6 Best Cooling Mattresses
- Final Verdict
Most people (Including me) would argue that there are only a few things in the world that drives you crazy as much as waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. It is a downright terrible feeling and can ruin your beauty sleep. Quality sleep is extremely essential for proper physical and mental function and plays a vital part in healing your body and preventing disease.
Thankfully, for those of us who tend to be hot sleepers and the fan and the AC tend not to be enough, cooling mattresses have risen to prominence in the last decade. They help combat these issues through their design and layers that allow for maximal air flow.
What Is a Cooling Mattress? How Does It Work?
A cooling mattress is an advanced bed type that utilizes technology through using various types of materials or designs to draw away or absorb heat. Cooling system materials usually include gel based memory foam or wrapped wire coils designs that help significantly boost airflow. As a result, your core body temperature remains relatively lower through the night. As a result this improves sleep quality by helping us warm blooded creatures thermoregulate. You can also use smaller sized or custom made cooling mattresses for your pets! Your dog or cat would love to snuggle in a cool gel memory foam mattress.
How Does It Help For Hot Sleepers?
The human body naturally cools while falling asleep through the process of thermoregulation. For people who have issues with higher body temperatures close to bedtime, they may have difficulties falling asleep. Cooling technology integrated into mattresses offer a viable solution to these high body temperatures that tend to disturb sleep patterns by countering the residual heat generated by your body. This can help support deeper sleep and provide relief from a condition called night sweats.
Night sweats can happen to anyone. They occur due to various reasons like sleep disorders, anxiety, depression, as a side effect to certain medication, as a result of fever or due to other mental health conditions. Cool gel memory foam mattresses can help prevent these sweats.
Cooling Mattress Buying Guide
There are several variables to consider while making your purchase decision. The type of mattress, its material, the size of the mattress, what kind of support it provides, what are your personal needs, and so on and so forth. Let us try to break down these variables to further aid this decision making process.
Types of Cooling Mattresses
- Memory foam-based – These mattresses mold to your body and provide pressure relief and can alleviate joint pain. They align with the natural shape of your body and then provide great support. Generally, side sleepers tend to prefer memory foam mattresses over spring-based mattresses. They do tend to retain more heat than spring mattresses though and thus require better cooling technology implementation for hot sleepers. There are several different types of foam-based layers used in these mattresses. High-density materials, high-resiliency materials, latex, and so on.
- Coil-based – Coil-based mattresses may also be referred to as spring-based mattresses. Before the advent of memory foam or gel-infused mattresses, these spring mattresses were extremely popular. With the introduction of coil-based technology, the older mattresses which were essentially just a large chunk of cotton in a case, much like a pillow, now had a lot more support and firmness. These spring-based mattresses have more bounce to them compared to foam-based mattresses but usually are considered less durable over the long term as a result of the wear and tear of the metal springs inside. They are usually less expensive than foam-based bedding.
- Gel Foam – Gel foam mattresses are made by adding gel beads to memory foam, or adding liquid gel into the top of the comfort layer of the mattress. The performance of gel foam mattresses depends on the structure of the mattress layers and the user’s heat tolerance levels. Gel memory foam mattresses have only been on the market since early 2011. The fact that they’ve only had a decade or so of research and further development means that it’s a little early to make determinations about gel-infused memory foam durability, but it’s still a great, comfortable option for consumers. They tend to be more on the expensive side.
- Hybrid mattresses – Hybrid mattresses have a support layer with springs and coils for firmness and they have a comfort layer that is either memory foam, gel-based foam, or latex-based. They have the benefit of having great comfort, bounce, and airflow. Talk about having the best of both worlds! There must be a catch though, right? Well, these tend to be very pricey for the most part, unless you can grab a good deal.
Size Of Mattress
Size plays a very important role in purchasing any mattress. You need to make sure the mattress you’re purchasing is the ideal size for you. It doesn’t matter if you buy a high-end hybrid mattress with 4 layers if your feet dangle off the end. Here are some of the standard mattress sizes widely used. Keep in mind there are a whale host of other sizes as well, not to mention mattresses that can be custom built to suit your needs.
- Twin Mattress/ Single (38” X 75”). Single-sized mattresses are among the smallest standard-sized mattresses. They are intended for single-person use, and may not be well suited to tall individuals. They work best for children, adolescents, and small bedrooms.
- Twin XL Mattress (38″ X 80″). Twin XL mattresses are just slightly bigger than regular twin mattresses, the difference being that they support taller individuals better than their counterparts. They should still be able to fit into a smaller space, given that the width remains the same as a single-sized bed, only the height changes.
- Full-Size mattress (54″ X 75″). A full-size mattress is suitable for a single adult to sleep comfortably. It is the same length as a single-sized mattress but is much wider.
- Queen Mattress (60″ X 80″). Queen-sized mattresses are the most popular mattress size in the world. They offer a generally comfortable size for individuals and most couples. They also tend to be pretty cost-effective, making them the most commonly purchased standard size.
- King Mattress (76″ x 80″). King-sized mattresses are for those families that are looking for comfort, where space is not a constraint. They are large enough for a couple as well as a young child or a pet to sleep comfortably.
Layers of Mattress
Before spring-based mattresses were introduced, mattresses just had one thick layer of cotton or wool inside them. After spring beds were introduced, the basic structure of mattresses changed. Now they include springs for support, encased in foam, forming the “support layer.” This layer was topped by a “comfort layer” with cotton or wool so as to provide a good sleeping experience and ensure the metal springs didn’t make the mattress uncomfortable.
These days mattresses can have several layers. Usually, multi-layered mattresses are more comfortable than their single-layered counterparts.
Weight of Mattress
A mattress’s weight determines how easy (or difficult) it would be to move it around. It is helpful to know the average weight of a mattress before making your buying decision to figure out whether or not your bed frame can handle the weight over time.
*Average weight can vary based on materials used, a number of coils, the thickness of the mattress, etc.
Waterproof/ Water resistance
Certain mattresses offer a level of water or fluid resistance. Most mattresses use something called a mattress pad or mattress protector in order to keep the bed waterproof. An issue with such a pad is that it tends to trap heat and make people feel sweaty. These pads come in a variety of different material blends, each with its own merits and demerits. Vinyl mattress protectors are likely to trap heat. Silk protectors, while smooth and comfortable to lie down on initially, can get extremely hot and sweaty through the night. The same goes for Polyester protectors. For best airflow try going with something that has a lower total thread count. Cotton, linen, or bamboo sheets are among the most breathable and cool, although they aren’t as water-resistant as some other fibers mentioned previously. It’s always a tradeoff.
Mattress Shopping Tips
There are certain Certifications that you must look out for while making your mattress purchasing decision. These certifications, either from government bodies or reliable third-party authorities are the best way to verify the safety of mattress materials. Some of these important certifications to look out for are –
GreenGuard – GreenGuard certification evaluates mattresses for VOC emissions. To meet their standards, these VOCs (volatile organic compounds) must be below permissible limits. The GOLD certification through Greenguard certifies a product’s safety for the general populous, as well as the elderly, and children.
Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) – The Global organic textile standard certification states that the certified mattress is made up of completely organic sourced material and has cleared their thorough inspections.
Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) – The Global Organic Latex standard states that the latex in question is harvested and processed in an organic fashion.
Oeko Tex Standard – The Oeko Tex standard tests textiles from the beginning of the supply chain when they are just raw material, all the way to finished products. They test for harmful, toxic chemicals vigorously.
To find out more about these certifications and safety protocols, you may read through the Overview of U.S. Mattress Requirements by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Check Customer Reviews
Always make it a point to go through customer reviews before purchasing any product. It helps get an idea of what kind of issues you can expect with a product and how it tends to perform long term.
Review Of The 6 Best Cooling Mattresses
Casper’s sleep products are researched and developed in-house by their own RnD team. Their sleep element mattress is the perfect introduction to premium mattresses, providing excellent quality to price ratio. They have 2 layers of premium foam for softness and support. The top layer is made of their trademarked AirScapeTM perforated foam that is designed to keep you cool at night. It boasts an outstanding balance between plush and firmness for support and pressure relief.
Some reviews claim to have some conditions/aches in their bodies that were relieved after using this mattress. Even some of the harsher, more critical reviews seem to maintain the fact this mattress is very comfortable to sleep on. Kids tend to love the feel of this cooling mattress as well. For most reviewers, the purchase decision seems to come down to whether the price of the product is justified by the value it provides or not.
They come in sizes – Twin, Twin XL, Full-sized, Queen, King, and California King.
The Sleep Innovations Marley Cooling Gel mattress boasts a triple-layer design that offers medium support, good airflow, and is a bit on the firm side. The gel-based foam layer and the supportive layer right under aid with airflow channels to provide a good cooling effect. This helps to maintain comfortable temperatures while you sleep. Sleep Innovations emphasizes their cooling memory foam. The bottom line is, you get two layers of memory foam in your mattress with cooling features on top of the cooling gel layer.
It has very high ratings on Amazon and seems to be highly praised amongst customers. 87% of the reviews gave the product 4-5 stars while only 7% gave it 1-2 stars. The low 1-star percentage means it is less likely to disappoint.
They come in sizes – Twin, Full-sized, Queen, King, and California King.
The Zinus 12 Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Cooling Gel Foam Mattress is a great budget-friendly option. It is perfect for people who are looking at more affordable options. This mattress is ideal for sleepers who value pressure relief and added support. It can be used for a plethora of different sleeping positions.
Reviews from buyers are highly positive overall with 89% giving it 4-5 stars. However, people seem to have mixed feelings about the product’s pressure relief feature. But this may be a case of product mismatch or full-sized adults buying mattresses that are 6-8 inches thick. If you are not satisfied with the product and would like to return or seek help from the manufacturer, based on the customer reviews online chances are you will encounter a bad customer experience.
They come in sizes – Twin, Full-sized, Queen, King, and California King. They also have mattresses with multiple thickness options.
The Classic Brands Cool Gel Chill Memory Foam Mattress is a premium, pressure-relieving memory foam high-density cool gel memory foam mattress. Its gel-infused ventilated memory foam creates an extremely comfortable sleeping surface for a restful night’s sleep. The high-density base foam helps relieve pressure points in your body and provides unparalleled support throughout the night. Their cool gel formulation helps with thermoregulation of the body to a great extent. It also comes with two premium pillows.
It has about 200 one-star reviews but almost 2000 5 star reviews. This means that there are more people who love this mattress than people who don’t. Some of the common pain points are: There are Varying opinions on its firmness among reviewers. At the end of the day, it comes down to multiple factors like a person’s body type, weight, fat distribution, height, and so on. There were also complaints relating to the mattress sleeping hot. One explanation is that since it uses memory foam, it’s possible that the mattress tends to trap more heat than a conventional run-of-the-mill or spring-based mattress.
One of the positives of this brand is its quick, responsive customer service.
They come in sizes – Twin, Twin XL, Full-sized, Queen, King, California King, and Split King. You also get multiple gel combinations with the mattress.
The LINENSPA 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress is simply outstanding in terms of providing sleep quality and comfort. It offers a two-toned mattress that provides maximum comfort, value, and aesthetic value. With the help of gel memory foam, this Linenspa 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress ensures you a cool sleep throughout the night.
The gel-infused memory foam inside this Linenspa mattress will regulate temperature perfectly and give you a cool & comfortable sleepLike many hybrid models, the Linenspa Mattress permits enough airflow to help cool the sleep surface. The polyfoam in its comfort layer is more breathable than most memory foam, so it shouldn’t retain a lot of heat. Extra heat can also dissipate thanks to the ample air circulation through the coil core.
Overall people seem to be pretty satisfied with the quality of the product and would go as far as to recommend it or buy a second one. 89% of the reviews gave the product 4-5 stars. Only 3% gave it 1 star.
They come in sizes – Twin, Full-sized, Queen, King, California King, and Split King.
With three layers of foam, the Molblly Cooling-Gel Memory Foam Mattress offers both support and comfort. Individuals who suffer from allergies and asthma will also appreciate the hypoallergenic cover that comes with the mattress. The main feature is the cooling gel that’s infused into the memory foam layer to mitigate heat retention – further enhanced by the breathable top cover. It is suitable for lighter-weighted front, back, and side sleepers.
This product got 4-5 stars from 86% of its reviews. 5% gave it one star. Some users complained of off-gassing. The toxic smell from the mattress’s manufacturing process lingers initially. There are some who weren’t satisfied with its durability. They reported that the bed began to sink a few months after use.
Yes, they do. Airflow plays more of a factor than one would think in how comfortable sleeping could be, especially on a hot day for people with sweats or with mental health issues like anxiety.
There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to mattresses. There are several factors to consider, like the body type of the individual, how heat-sensitive they are, their height, and so on. We’ve tried to come up with the six best options for your money in this list.
Gel-based Foam mattresses usually help keep you cool through the night. How cool a mattress can keep you is based on the type of mattress, but also can vary greatly from company to company based on the quality of material and thickness of the mattress they opt for.
A cooling gel mattress is a type of foam mattress with a special kind of gel-infused that helps absorb and retain heat away from the user. These mattresses conform to the body while dispersing the individual’s body heat.
The average cooling mattress starts at around 300 – 350$ and high-end gel foam or hybrid mattresses with multiple layers can go up all the way to around 1500$.
Memory foam-based mattresses are excellent at isolating motion transfer. This makes them a great option for couples or those who sleep with children or pets.
With a ridiculous amount of available options, buying the perfect mattress for you may seem like a daunting task. A spring mattress offers decent airflow and support, but maybe too firm for some. Memory foam is comfortable but may run a little too hot for some folk. Hybrid offers the best of both, but are usually on the pricier side.
There is no single perfect mattress. It completely depends on what you’re looking for in a mattress. One thing is for certain however, you should invest in a good mattress as it can vastly improve your sleeping experience.