Table of Contents
- Casper Wave Hybrid Review: Your Mattress for a Balance of Comfort
Casper Wave Hybrid 13″ Memory Foam Mattress
- Construction and Design
- Durability and Price
- What Are Consumers Saying About the Casper Wave Hybrid?
- Is the Casper Wave Hybrid for You?
- Why Choose Casper?
If you’re looking for a new mattress, you might be considering the Casper Wave Hybrid. One of Casper’s most luxurious offerings, the Wave Hybrid boasts multiple layers of zoned support, cooling AirScape™️ foam, and premium coils for extra bounce.
Interested to learn whether the Casper Wave Hybrid is for you? Read our Casper hybrid mattress review to learn more about the Casper Wave Hybrid and its design. Along the way, we’ll cover its durability, price, what consumers are saying about it, and more.
Casper Wave Hybrid Review: Your Mattress for a Balance of Comfort
Construction and Design
As its name suggests, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a hybrid mattress. This means that it consists of different types of foam layers on top of a foam-encased coil core.
The mattress cover is a soft and stretchy blend of cotton, recycled polyester, lycra, and rayon. The cotton is included to regulate temperature and improve breathability. The recycled polyester is an environmentally friendly material that was partially made by turning recycling bottles into fabric.
The Casper Wave Hybrid is one of the thickest mattresses on the market — it has five layers that add up to 13″ in total.
Here’s a breakdown of the Wave’s layers:
- Primary comfort layer. Under the cover, you’ll find a layer of Casper’s AirScape™️ foam. This special material responds slowly to pressure, giving the sleeper more time to sink into the mattress, particularly at the hips and shoulders. The foam has a thin layer of cooling gel on top to give sleepers a cooler sleep. It’s also aerated, giving the mattress excellent breathability.
- Latex transition layer. Below the primary comfort layer is a thick layer of natural latex foam that’s bouncy, durable, and features AirScape™️ technology. As a transition layer, it extends the cooling and contouring of the primary comfort layer deeper into the mattress.
- Zoned memory foam layer. Under the two layers of AirScape™️ foam is a contour layer of memory foam. This layer is divided into three ergonomic zones to provide support and pressure relief to various parts of your body. The zones under your legs and shoulders are softer for optimal pressure relief, while the middle zone under your lower back, waist, and hips are firmer for additional support. This design aligns the spine and distributes uniform pressure relief across the body.
- Polyfoam transition layer. Next, we have a polyfoam transition layer. Strategically placed under the lower core and back to keep your spine in the right position, this layer has up to 86 gel pods in its middle layer to help align your spine. The gel pods work with the other layers to promote better spinal alignment. They also make it easier for you to change positions and move around at night.
- Support foam with encased spring coils. Last but not least, we have the bedrock of the Casper Wave — a 7″ section of foam-encased pocketed coils. The coils make up 6″ of this layer to bring improved support, bounce, and firmness to the mattress. Additionally, they help you sleep on top of the bed rather than sinking into it. The foam encasing the coils also offers plenty of high-density support, maximizing the usable surface area of the mattress.
As you can see, the Casper Wave was manufactured with a lot of thought. Each layer has unique properties to give you an optimal sleeping experience.
The Casper Wave Hybrid is also immaculately manufactured.
If you’re worried about the materials in the mattress, don’t fret. All of the foams in the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress have been certified by the CertiPUR-US program, including:
- The primary comfort layer of polyurethane foam
- The second layer of latex foam
- The third layer of ergonomically-zoned memory foam
- The fourth layer of foam with gel pods
- The durable base of foam with spring coils
All of these foams were made without ozone-depleting phthalates and chemicals and are regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The foams have also been tested for indoor air quality and low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Uniform Pressure Relief
With a thick comfort system that balances support and conforming, the Casper Wave offers stronger and more uniform pressure relief than its competitors.
Unlike thinner mattresses, the Wave’s comfort system distributes the sleeper’s weight, making pressure less likely to build up around heavier and wider body parts like your hips.
The Wave’s comfort system also offers robust spinal alignment. Gel pods in the polyfoam transition layer lift the sleeper’s hips so they won’t sink too deeply into the mattress.
Gentle Foam Layers
The Casper Wave has multiple foam layers that balance support with bounce, making it a great choice for sleepers.
The Casper Wave boasts exceptional motion transfer thanks to its memory foam layers. Specifically, it has incredibly low motion transfer, which means it can stay still and isolate movements to the parts of the mattress where movement is happening. As such, the Casper Wave is a great pick for couples.
The Casper Wave Hybrid only offers one firmness option.
Overall, the Casper Wave feels like a 6.5 out of 10, or medium, in terms of firmness. The top layers are soft, but the layers get increasingly firmer as you go further into the mattress. The mattress has two layers of zoned support, so it will feel firmer for those sleeping on their stomach or back and softer for side sleepers.
The Casper Wave’s firmness may also depend on the sleeper’s weight. If they’re lighter, they may think that the mattress is softer. However, heavier sleepers (for example, over 250 pounds) might find it firmer.
|Dimensions||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King|
|Weight||70- 143 lbs.|
|Extra Features||Zoned Support Max + Gel Pods, Layers of AirScape|
The Casper Wave Hybrid sleeps cool due to its cooling gel and pocketed coil layer. However, if you sleep especially hot, you may want to get the Casper Wave Hybrid Snow mattress.
Essentially, the Casper Wave Hybrid Snow mattress is the Casper Wave Hybrid with extra cooling technology. This includes:
- A QuickCool™️ cover. This material is infused with phase change material to create a cool sensation every time you go to bed.
- Six HeatDelete™️ bands. These bands direct heat away from your body so you can sleep soundly through the night and wake up refreshed.
Durability and Price
How Long Will A Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress Last?
A Casper Wave Hybrid typically lasts up to 10 years.
As a hybrid mattress, the Casper Wave Hybrid offers outstanding sag resistance and durability. It also resists softening and is unlikely to be affected by body impressions. This means that if you take good care of it, you may be able to use it for up to 15 years.
The memory foam layers may give out before other layers. To make it last as long as possible, follow Casper’s mattress care instructions, which include rotating the mattress and using a mattress protector.
Purchase Price and Financing Options
The Casper Wave Hybrid is pricier than most competitive models. The purchase price ranges from $1,795 to $3,495, depending on the size. If you want Snow technology, it’ll be an additional $500.
However, many sleepers believe that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a good investment. As you’ll read below, many customers have praised the Casper Wave Hybrid for its balance of firmness and comfort.
Casper also provides alternative financing options. If you don’t want to pay for the mattress all at once, you can use Affirm to pay for your mattress in installments. This won’t affect your credit score.
Casper offers free shipping and returns across the U.S. and Canada with warehouse partners in each country. Additional shipping fees apply to Hawaii and Alaska.
The Casper Wave Hybrid comes with a 100-night trial period. So if you don’t think the mattress is a good fit for you after the first 30-Night Adjustment Period, you can return the mattress for free. Casper offers a 30-night trial period for several of its other products as well.
Like all other Casper products, the Casper Wave Hybrid is covered by a 10-year limited warranty.
This warranty applies to the following defects:
- Any manufacturing defect in the zipper assembly of the cover
- Any physical flaw in the mattress that causes the foam material to crack or split, despite proper handling and normal usage
- Deterioration that causes the mattress to have a visible indentation greater than 1″. This indentation may not be associated with a sag or indentation that results from using an unsupportive or improper adjustable bed base or foundation.
Note that the warranty does not cover the following:
- Comfort preference, since this is highly subjective
- A normal increase in softness of the foam material that doesn’t affect the pressure-relieving qualities of the product
- Damage caused by commercial use, such as in a store or hotel, unless you’re a trade customer
- Physical damage or abuse to the cover and structure material, such as tears, burns, cuts, stains, and liquid damage
- Replacement of any non-defective pieces in the sleep system. For instance, if you buy a mattress with multiple components and only one of them is defective, Casper will only replace the defective component.
- Any mattress sold by unauthorized retailers
- Mattresses that aren’t new and have been previously used or purchased by someone else
If your Casper Wave Hybrid has one of the covered defects, you can ask Casper to provide a repaired or replacement mattress cover or mattress as long as you fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Return the mattress cover or mattress to Casper
- Give Casper proof of the original date of purchase
- Provide evidence of a defect or defects to the following address:
Casper Sleep, Inc.
175 Greenwich St., 40th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Casper will pay for the shipping costs.
What Are Consumers Saying About the Casper Wave Hybrid?
A look through Casper mattress reviews reveals that most customers are satisfied with the Casper hybrid mattress. The average Casper Hybrid Wave review rating is a little over four out of five stars, with the vast majority of reviewers giving four or five stars.
- 10-year warranty
- Ideal for light and heavy sleepers who tend to sleep hot
- Gives plenty of support despite feeling soft
- Provides excellent shoulder and hip pain relief
- Finishing on the mattress lacks durability
- Memory foam may make movement difficult
- No firmness options
- Memory foam odor takes time to dissipate
How Casper Mattresses Perform for a Wide Range of Sleepers
Casper mattresses perform extremely well for a wide range of sleepers. However, the Wave might not be the best pick for certain sleepers. Here’s a breakdown of how the Wave performs for various sleeper types:
Lighter-Weight Sleepers (under 130 lbs.)
- Lighter-weight side sleepers. These sleepers should like the Wave. Thanks to the Wave’s firmness, they won’t sink too far into the mattress. This means that these sleepers will likely find the mattress pressure-relieving.
- Lighter-weight back sleepers. Light-back sleepers should also find the Wave comfortable. Many layers of the mattress were made specifically to provide support and relief for aching backs, shoulders, and hips.
- Light stomach sleepers. People who strictly sleep on their stomachs may find the Casper Wave a bit too soft. However, light sleepers who switch between their stomach and another position should get sufficient support.
Average-Weight Sleepers (130–250 lbs.)
- Average-weight side sleepers. Average-weight side sleepers may find the Casper Wave a bit firm if they only sleep on their sides. However, if you frequently switch between sleeping on your back and your side, the Wave should work for you.
- Average-weight back sleepers. These sleepers will probaly like the Wave — it provides plenty of support for the back but is soft enough to sink into.
- Average-weight stomach sleepers. Unfortunately, the Casper Wave may be too plush for average-weight stomach sleepers. A stomach sleeper needs a firm bed with plenty of support and lift to align their spine with their shoulders and hips.
Heavier-Weight Sleepers (over 250 lbs.)
- Heavier-weight side sleepers. These sleepers should find the Wave comfortable since the Wave provides plenty of support. However, those who strictly sleep on their sides may find themselves sinking into the mattress’ coil layer. They may also feel some pressure around their hips and shoulders.
- Heavier-weight back sleepers. The Wave is a great pick for heavy back sleepers. The zoned memory foam layer will help them sleep comfortably by keeping their spines aligned.
- Heavier-weight stomach sleepers. The Casper Wave may be too soft for these stomach sleepers. Like average-weight stomach sleepers, these sleepers need a firm mattress for healthy spinal alignment.
Is the Casper Wave Hybrid for You?
As you can see, the Casper Wave Hybrid accommodates a broad range of sleep types and body types. It’s also a good pick for couples because of its low motion transfer.
However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Casper Wave Hybrid is for you. To determine whether the Casper Wave Hybrid is for you, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
What Kind of Sleeper Are You?
First, you need to determine what kind of sleeper you are.
Side sleepers will probably enjoy the Casper Wave as it will give them what they need — a unique balance of support for their lower back and cushioning for their hips and shoulders.
Back sleepers are likely to enjoy the Casper Wave because it’s the perfect mix of firm and soft. These sleepers need the Wave’s medium-firm feel to cushion their lower back and shoulders and align their spine. If they go for a mattress solution that’s too firm, they will experience unnecessary tension in their lower back and shoulders. If they go too soft, their hips won’t be properly aligned with their shoulders, resulting in back pain.
Combination sleepers are also likely to find the Casper Wave Hybrid comfortable, especially if they spend most of the night sleeping on their side or back.
However, if you’re strictly or mostly a stomach sleeper, the Casper Wave Hybrid may not be the mattress for you. That’s because stomach sleepers require extra-firm mattresses that align the hips with the shoulders. Although the Wave is considered a medium-firm mattress, it’s not firm enough for most stomach sleepers, especially those who weigh over 130 lbs.
What’s Your Weight?
Next, you need to consider your weight.
Lighter-weight sleepers (under 130 lbs.) will generally like the Wave Hybrid, even if they sleep on their stomachs. The Wave Hybrid has plenty of layers, coils, and memory foam to give these sleepers the support they need.
Most average-weight (130–250 lbs.) sleepers will also like the Wave Hybrid. However, those who strictly sleep on their sides may find the Wave Hybrid too harsh on their hips and shoulders. On the flip side, average-weight stomach sleepers may find the Wave too plush.
Many heavier (over 250 lbs.) sleepers will enjoy the Wave Hybrid. However, you may want to get a firmer mattress if you sleep primarily on your stomach or side. The Casper Wave Hybrid may not be able to give heavier stomach and side sleepers the spinal support they need. These side sleepers may also sink into the coil layer of the mattress, which can be uncomfortable.
Do You Heat Up While Sleeping?
The Casper Wave is perfect for hot sleepers. It sleeps cool thanks to cooling gel and a pocketed coil layer.
However, if you heat up while sleeping or live in a hot climate, consider getting the Snow add-on. It gives you extra cooling technology, such as:
- A QuickCool™️ cover that creates a cool sensation when you go to bed
- Six HeatDelete™️ bands that direct heat away from you so you can sleep soundly
Do You Sleep Alone or With a Partner?
The Casper Wave is a great pick for sleepers who sleep alone or with a partner. However, it’s perfect for couples because it’s:
- Quiet. The Casper Wave makes very little noise, which means couples can be discreet.
- Responsive. A person moving on one side of the bed isn’t likely to wake someone sleeping on the other side.
What’s Your Budget?
Finally, you need to consider your budget. As previously discussed, the Casper Wave Hybrid is rather pricey compared to other brands. If you have a limited budget for your new mattress, consider buying a more budget-friendly model.
Why Choose Casper?
Casper is one of the leading mattress brands in the U.S. for a good reason. The company not only offers award-winning, eco-friendly mattresses but also top-tier shipping and customer service. Additionally, Casper offers a 10-year warranty for its mattresses.
Casper boasts quite a few partner retailers and showrooms across the nation so that you can try the mattresses before you buy. What’s more, all of Casper’s mattresses have a 100-night trial, so if you’re not completely in love with your choice after the first 30-Night Adjustment Period, you can return it for a full refund. Casper also offers a 30-night trial on its other products.
You only need the Snow add-on if you tend to heat up considerably while sleeping. The Casper Wave already has stronger temperature regulation than most competitors, such as cooling gel and a pocketed coil support core.
No, you can’t extend the trial period. The trial lasts 100 nights and begins when your items are delivered.
The Casper Wave Hybrid is considerably firmer than the Casper Nova Hybrid, making it a better choice for side sleepers and those with back pain. It also has a higher price tag than the Nova.