Table of Contents
- Why Choose Sealy?
- Production and Manufacturing
- Warranty Information
- Sealy Mattress Bases and Bedding
- Check Out More Sealy Content From WakeUpSleepyHead
- Where To Buy
- Similar Brands
- Online Presence
- Contact Information
Why Choose Sealy?
Americans in search of a good night’s sleep have been turning to Sealy mattresses for more than a century. Today’s Sealy Posturepedic mattresses are some of the most popular on the market because they have been engineered to provide even support, which means they are unlikely to sag or crease even after years of use. Sealy products can now be found online and in furniture and bedding stores around the world, and the company remains an industry leader in technology and innovation.
Sealy’s road to mattress market dominance has been a long and interesting one. Let’s take a look at how the mattress maker grew from humble beginnings to become a global behemoth with annual revenues of more than $3 billion.
Founding and Milestones
Sealy’s story began in 1881 when a cotton gin maker from Sealy, Texas, named Daniel Haynes started selling cotton-filled mattresses to his friends, acquaintances and neighbors. Haynes originally viewed his new venture as little more than a hobby, but he began to devote more time to it when his mattresses became extremely popular and he could no longer keep up with demand. These efforts led to the development of a machine that compressed the cotton Haynes used to make his mattresses.
The new machine allowed Haynes to make far more mattresses, but his list of unfilled orders continued to grow. This prompted the inventor and entrepreneur to sell patents for his machine to manufacturers in nearby markets. Companies that purchased these patents distinguished their products by adding a “Mattress from Sealy” label.
The next milestone in Sealy’s history occurred in 1906 when an advertising executive named Earl Edwards approached Haynes and offered to purchase his patents. Haynes agreed, and he also told Edwards all that he had learned in his two decades of making mattresses. With the patents in hand, Edwards formed a new company and began to sell mattresses across the United States under the name Sealy.
Edwards soon ran into the same problems that had troubled Haynes. Sealy mattresses were a big hit with consumers, and he soon found himself with a huge backlog of orders. A bulging order book was not enough to convince banks to lend Edwards the money he needed to expand his manufacturing base, so he turned to a licensing model that had been used successfully by other growing companies like Coca Cola. Increased manufacturing capacity helped Sealy to achieve market dominance, but everything changed in the 1930s when the Great Depression decimated the U.S. economy.
Many of Sealy’s licensees lost everything in the Great Depression, but the company managed to withstand the economic turbulence and avoid bankruptcy. The remaining licensees were consolidated, and the Sealy Corporation was born. The company is still called Sealy, but it is now headquartered in Trinity, North Carolina. Sealy currently operates 29 production plants in the United States that manufacture mattresses under the Sealy Posturepedic, Basset and Stearns & Foster brand names.
The 1950s were one of the most important decades in Sealy’s history. That was when the company’s engineers worked with orthopedic surgeons to develop mattresses that better support the human body to improve sleep. They called their innovation Posturepedic technology. The company’s new line of Posturepedic mattresses were designed to:
- Support the spine to relax back muscles
- Relieve pressure points to reduce tossing and turning
- Keep the body in an orthopedically correct position to improve sleep
The advent of Posturepedic technology ushered in a new era for Sealy, and the company’s mattresses are now made in Europe, South America, Asia and Australia as well as the United States.
Production and Manufacturing
Sealy focuses on quality comfort materials in the manufacturing of their mattresses. Their devotion to research and development has les the company to establish many patents to make certain that all products maintain the high standards that their customers want and deserve.
Mattresses are still Sealy’s primary products, but the company now also offers mattress bases and bedding to give consumers a one-stop shopping experience. Sealy once made only innerspring mattresses, but the company’s product line has expanded in recent years to include foam and hybrid models. Sealy’s current range of mattresses include:
- Sealy Cocoon mattress: The Sealy Cocoon Chill is an all-foam mattress that has been engineered to remain cooler than other all-foam mattresses. The Sealy Cocoon Chill has a support layer, a comfort foam layer, a memory foam layer and a cooling cover.
- Sealy Hybrid mattress: The Sealy Hybrid gives consumers the best of both worlds by combining the advantages of an innerspring and memory foam mattress. A deep layer of fabric-encased coils that move independently for targeted support is covered by a thick layer of memory foam that molds to the contours of the human body. The result is a Sealy mattress that provides an excellent blend of comfort and support.
- Sealy Posturepedic mattress: Sealy’s legendary Posturepedic mattresses are offered at two price points. Posturepedic and Posturepedic Plus models both offer coils that are individually wrapped for improved support and are available in a wide range of firmness options. Posturepedic Plus mattresses are a little more expensive due to their motion-absorbing coils and advanced cooling features. Sealy Posturepedic queen mattresses are the most popular option, but twin, full, king and California king sizes are also available.
- Sealy youth mattress: These mattresses are made slightly smaller than the standard twin size, but they still offer the quality, support, comfort and durability that the brand has become famous for.
- Sealy Optimum mattress: These mattresses were engineered to provide the highest levels of comfort on the market. They feature Opticool Gel Memory Foam, which removes up to 12 times more heat than conventional gels or foams.
- Sealy Essentials: This line of mattresses was developed to give consumers on a tight budget a way to enjoy Sealy quality. Sealy Essential mattresses have layers of response coils, support foam and cooling foam, and they are available with either pillow or Euro tops.
Sealy mattresses sold in North America are made in the United States, but the company operates manufacturing facilities in many other countries to serve other markets. If you would like to learn more about the company’s wide range of products, you will be able to find what you are looking for on our main mattress page.
The first Sealy mattresses were made almost entirely by hand in a single room, but the company now has dozens of manufacturing plants around the world. Sealy mattresses continue to be the top choice of millions of consumers, and the company has announced ambitious expansion plans to meet growing demand. A production facility under construction in Crawfordsville, Indiana, will cover 130 acres and provide up to 1.4 million square feet of capacity, and it will produce a wide variety of bedding products in addition to mattresses.
Sealy is also expanding its overseas production capacity. The company opened its first international manufacturing plant in Mexico in 1996, and it now produces mattresses in the United Kingdom, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Colombia, Argentina, Israel, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand and South Africa. Sealy is also making inroads into the Chinese market. In. 2011, a Sealy China and Sealy Australia joint venture opened a factory near Shanghai that has a capacity of 100,000 square feet.
Consumers expect companies with manufacturing footprints as large as Sealy’s to take steps to improve sustainability and protect the environment. Sealy has answered these calls by taking steps to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions, and the company promises to eliminate or offset its Scope 1 and 2 emissions completely by 2040. In December 2020, Sealy announced all of its wholly owned North American and European facilities had all switched to renewable energy, and all of the production lines in its New Mexico mattress plant are powered by a solar array.
Sealy also hopes to achieve zero-landfill in the United States and Europe by the end of 2022, and the company has called on its suppliers to make similar efforts to reduce the size of its supply chain’s environmental footprint.
All Sealy mattresses and flat foundations are covered by a limited warranty, but the length of this warranty varies. To find out how long the warranty lasts, you should look at the warranty field on the mattress tag. The warranty field is two numbers separated by a slash above the product’s 12-digit serial number. The second number tells you how long the warranty lasts, and the first number tells you how long repairs or replacements are offered with no deductible. For example, if you purchase a mattress with 5 / 10 on the tag, it has a 10-year warranty and will be repaired or replaced with no deductible during the first five years.
To calculate the deductible, you multiply the MSRP of the mattress by the number of years of ownership and then divide that figure by the length of the warranty. Let’s see how that works for a mattress with a $500 MSRP and a 10-year warranty that develops a problem after eight years of ownership. The $500 MSRP multiplied by the eight years of ownership gives us an initial figure of 4,000. Dividing this number by the 10 years the warranty lasts gives us a deductible of $400.
The Sealy warranty protects consumers against defects in materials or workmanship, but it does not cover burns, soilage, stains or damage caused by improper or weak box springs. Demo models or mattresses sold as is are not covered by the Sealy limited warranty, and only individuals or entities that purchase new mattresses from authorized Sealy distributors can submit a claim. You should keep your receipt if you buy a Sealy mattress as the company asks consumers who make warranty claims to provide proof of purchase. Sealy does not charge its customers to pay for warranty repairs or replacements, but they are expected to pay shipping costs.
Sealy Mattress Bases and Bedding
Sealy makes bedding and a range of mattress bases in addition to its Cocoon, Hybrid and Posturepedic mattresses. Sealy Dream Fit pillows are covered with 100% Supima cotton and filled with a combination of support foam and polyester fibers. The result is a pillow that offers exceptional comfort and excellent breathability. Sealy sheets are crafted from 100% single-ply combed cotton with a 260 thread count, which makes them feel very soft to the touch. Fitted sheets have corner straps to ensure a good fit.
If you need a base to go with your new mattress, Sealy has the following three options for you to choose from:
- Sealy Ease: This base has head and foot lifts to provide a personalized sleeping experience and a zero gravity preset that simulates weightlessness and reduces pressure on the back. These features can be operated using a wireless remote.
- Sealy Tempur Ergo: This mattress base adds a quiet mode that tilts the mattress it supports to prevent snoring and a two-zone massage feature. It also features underbed lighting and USB ports.
- Sealy Tempur Ergo Extend: For those looking for a mattress base that has it all, Sealy offers the Tempur Ergo Extend. This mattress base ups the ante with a four-zone massage feature that has three intensity settings and technology that optimizes the shape of mattresses.
Check Out More Sealy Content From WakeUpSleepyHead
When you are considering a Sealy mattress, there is a lot that goes into the decision process. Following is some of the information that can help you in choosing your next Sealy product.
Sealy Product Reviews
There are a lot of Sealy mattresses to choose from, so which one is right for you? Check our reviews to find out what sets Sealy mattresses apart and the pros and cons of each model. Our reviews contain descriptions, specifications and other useful information, and they will give you all of the facts you need to make an informed buying decision.
Sealy Mattress Roundups
If you want to check out some of Sealy’s best and most popular mattresses in one place, our product roundups have what you are looking for. This is where you will find the Sealy mattresses and mattress bases that consumers recommend most often, and you will be able to see at a glance which products have received the highest marks for quality, comfort and durability.
Sealy Press Releases
Manufacturers like Sealy make improvements to their mattresses and release new products all the time. You don’t want to find out that a new or improved product has been released after you have already spent your hard-earned money, and we keep track of all major announcements and press releases. In addition to information about product changes, our press release roundups will let you know about incentives, rebates and Sealy rewards.
Sealy Mattress Recalls
Mattresses do not have motors and are made using tried and trusted techniques, so product recalls are rare. If Sealy does announce a recall, this is where you will be able to find out all about it. We will let you know which products are being recalled, why the recall was ordered and whether or not the product being recalled poses any danger to consumers. We will also tell you how the recall is being conducted. When mattresses are recalled, the manufacturers involved usually replace the affected products at no charge.
Where To Buy
If you have decided that a Sealy mattress fits your needs and are ready to place an order, here are some links to online retailers that usually have a good selection in stock at reasonable prices. These links make comparing prices easy because they take you to store pages where you will be able to see what mattresses are available and how much they are being sold for.
- Amazon Sealy Store Page
- The Home Depot Sealy Store Page
- Belk Sealy Store Page
- BrandsMart USA Sealy Store Page
- MattressFirm Sealy Store Page
- Overstock Sealy Store Page
- Zoro Sealy Store Page
- Amazon Sealy Mattress Deals
- The Home Depot Sealy Mattress Deals
- BrandsMart USA Sealy Mattress Deals
- Overstock Sealy Mattress Deals
Sealy mattresses are great, but they are not the only option you have if you are looking to get a good night’s sleep. Our reviews tell you everything you need to know about the features, advantages and benefits of Sealy mattresses and mattress bases, and they can also give you useful information about the products on offer from other major brands. Before you make your final decision, you may want to consider mattresses made by these brands:
Here are some places to check and see the online presence that the Sealy brand has.
If you have a question that only Sealy can answer, you will be pleased to learn that the company makes getting in touch with them very easy. Sealy representatives are available to take your call between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. on weekdays and between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. on weekends, and emails are usually answered within 24 hours.