Table of Contents
- What Are the Top Five Mattress Brands of 2022?
- Casper Mattresses
- Purple Mattresses
- Tuft & Needle Mattresses
- Saatva Mattresses
- Tempur-Pedic Mattresses
- Which Brand Is Known for its Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattresses?
- What Are Good Mattress Brands That Offer Variety for Different Sleep Styles?
- What Makes a Mattress Brand Noteworthy?
- Choose From These Notable Brands to Find a Mattress That Fits Your Sleep Preference
Americans have an alarming sleep deficit. A lot of factors are at play, including busy schedules, poor physical health, and way too much stress. In some situations, however, the fix is simple: invest in a better mattress.
With so many people struggling to get a restful night’s sleep, it stands to reason that we can use all the help we can get. That’s exactly what today’s top mattress brands purport to provide. Unfortunately, this support can come at a high price, with even moderately priced mattresses often costing well over $1,000.
Thankfully, a limited budget doesn’t mean that all hope of nighttime comfort is lost. These days, many digital retailers bring a renewed sense of competition to this market, thereby driving down prices while greatly expanding selection and even improving customer service.
All these options can feel overwhelming, so it helps to have a basic sense of which brands are reliable — and which should be avoided. Keep reading if you’re wondering: What are the best mattress brands?
What Are the Top Five Mattress Brands of 2022?
Now that you’re familiar with the many factors that play into mattress selection, it’s time to determine which brand is best suited to your unique needs.
Below, we’ve highlighted several top mattress brands you’ll want to explore as you narrow your options:
|Brands||Casper||Purple||Tuft & Needle||Saatva||Tempur-Pedic|
|Free Trial Period||100 Nights||100 Nights||100 Nights||365 Nights||90 Nights|
|Warranty||10-year limited||10-year limited||10-year limited||Lifetime limited||10-year limited|
Casper Original 11″ Foam Queen Mattress
About This Classic Mattress Brand
Customers are often surprised to discover that Casper is such a newcomer to the mattress scene. The company was founded in 2014, with the intention of leveraging eCommerce to boost mattress sales.
While Casper mattresses were sold exclusively online at the company’s outset, that is beginning to change. Pop-up events have demonstrated that Casper has the power to produce impressive in-person sales.
Still, the digital realm is where this company shines. The 100-night return policy lends extra confidence to those who might be worried about purchasing mattresses online.
The current Casper collection consists of a few main mattress styles:
- Original. Offering a great balance between cooling and support, this is Casper’s best-selling mattress. It incorporates three zones of support, plus a foam base designed to prevent sagging.
- Original Hybrid. Replacing the Original’s foam base with a hybrid alternative, this model provides extra lift with help from strategically designed springs. This is the top-rated mattress from Casper.
- Nova Hybrid. To call this mattress plush would be an understatement. The Casper Nova Hybrid has seven zones, plus a soft area beneath the shoulders and a firmer mattress space near the lower back.
- Wave Hybrid. A revolutionary three-dimensional foam system makes this a uniquely ergonomic mattress. Dozens of gel pods cradle the waist to provide exceptional support.
Why Customers Love Casper
- Casper donates returned mattresses to local charities. When donations are not possible, these mattresses are recycled. Some are upcycled and then sold at pop-up events.
- A risk-free return policy adds a 100-night sleep trial to deliver extra peace of mind. If you’re not satisfied, you’re welcome to return your mattress to Casper, free of charge.
- While mattress options may seem limited compared to some other brands, there is a style available for every type of sleeper, not to mention a range of sizes.
- It’s increasingly possible to test out these formerly online-only mattresses in person.
- Although the return policy seems generous, it involves committing to the mattress for a 30-day “adjustment period” before being allowed to send the mattress back to Casper.
- Petroleum-based hybrid elements prevent this from being a truly eco-friendly mattress.
Purple Plus 11″ Foam Queen Mattress
About This Mattress Brand
Another significant player in the online mattress landscape, Purple began with a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2015. From there, the fledgling company launched a series of videos explaining its proprietary technology. This advertising initiative was wildly successful, with the videos quickly obtaining well over 100 million views.
Purple’s secret to success lies in its GelFlex Grid, which is designed to bring support exactly where it is needed. This injection-molded grid involves an effective geometric structure that works wonders for many types of sleepers.
Currently, the Purple mattress collection resembles Casper’s in many respects. There is a base model, plus a premium version and hybrid designs:
- Purple. Referred to as “the bed that started it all,” this original model delivers two inches of the GelFlex Grid, plus a dual-layer base of adaptive foam.
- Purple Plus. An extra layer of foam brings even more cushioning to this premium mattress. It’s wonderfully breathable and bound to provide a great night’s sleep.
- Purple Hybrid. Blending the GelFlex Grid with responsive coils and transitioning foam, this dynamic mattress promotes exceptional airflow.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 3. A popular mix of support and cushioning underscores this premier take on the Purple Hybrid. It has a three-inch GelFlex Grid and stainless steel coil construction.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 4. Similar to the Premier 3 but adding yet another inch of the GelFlex Grid, this mattress provides an extra element of pressure relief, along with a truly immersive feel that many users will find appealing.
Why Customers Love Purple
- Purple mattresses provide great airflow, making them ideal for those who prefer cool sleeping environments.
- Specially designed sheets maximize the effects of each Purple mattress.
- The 10-year warranty should reassure anybody who is concerned about mattress durability.
- Like Casper, Purple offers a 100-night trial. This is accompanied by an offer to return any less-than-beloved mattresses for free.
- Purple mattresses are made in the USA.
- Some health experts are concerned about the potential release of polyethylene nanoparticles, which could be harmful to users’ health.
- Not all sheets work well with Purple’s mattresses. Unfortunately, the specially designed sheets available for purchase from
- Purple are expensive.
- While the standard model is reasonably priced, the premium designs can be expensive.
- The GelFlex Grid is a definite plus for many sleepers, but others find it uncomfortable.
Tuft & Needle Original 9.5″ Foam Queen Mattress
About This Mattress Brand
As one of the original bed-in-a-box companies, Tuft & Needle set the standard for the online retailers that have since taken over.
While the company’s marketing efforts haven’t quite lived up to competitors such as Casper or Purple, this brand is worth considering if you’re on the hunt for a simple, straightforward, and cost-effective foam or hybrid mattress.
Current Tuft & Needle mattresses are limited in scope, even as compared to other digital retailers. The main options currently available for online purchase include:
- Tuft & Needle Original. This all-foam mattress has just two layers. It’s ideal if you sleep on your back or stomach — and if you typically don’t share your bed.
- Mint. Side sleepers and those who share beds usually prefer Tuft & Needle’s Mint, which, while also constructed purely of foam, adds another layer for extra comfort.
- Hybrid. Drawing on the power of both foam and springs, this mattress receives wonderful edge support with help from its firm springs near the outside. A pillow-top cover boosts durability.
Why Customers Love Tuft & Needle
- As with many online brands, Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night trial. With Tuft & Needle, however, there is no need to commit for 30 days before returning undesired mattresses.
- Tuft & Needle mattresses (even the original model) provide impressive motion isolation.
- Prices are reasonable for the full lineup of Tuft & Needle mattresses, with sales occasionally provided to further reduce the cost.
- The available options are straightforward, so it should be easy to navigate the purchasing process.
- A general lack of mattress options may prevent this brand from appealing to all types of customers.
- Limited edge support on some models could make these mattresses less appealing when used by multiple people.
- While Tuft & Needle claims to provide a cooling sensation, its temperature control is limited as compared to competitors.
- These mattresses are not ideal for plus-size sleepers — especially those who sleep on their back or stomach.
Saatva HD 15.5″ Hybrid Innerspring Queen Mattress
About This Mattress Brand
Saatva deserves a great deal of credit for the rise of the direct-to-consumer mattress shopping model. Launched in 2011, this company has revolutionized the mattress market. Despite its lack of wholesale channels, Saatva has consistently been one of the top performers in this competitive sector.
The Saatva approach to direct-to-consumer sales looks a bit different from the bed-in-a-box solutions that many customers associate with online mattress purchases. With Saatva, customers receive white glove delivery, free of charge. A large network of factories and distribution centers make this possible.
Recently, the company has expanded its offerings to include not only premium mattresses, but also, luxury bedding and frames. Still, Saatva mattresses remain at the heart of the company’s operations, with great customer service making the purchasing process easier than expected.
Why Customers Love Saatva
- A wide variety of mattress styles are offered, including hybrid innerspring, active-cooling memory foam, and even organic latex.
- If you find that you don’t sleep well on a particular Saatva mattress, you can return it free of charge during the 365-night trial.
- A mattress quiz is provided on the website to help you determine which Saatva style is the best fit.
- A lifetime warranty goes above and beyond the warranties for other brands mentioned in this guide.
- While online mattress shopping tends to make consumers nervous, many are pleased to report that exceptional customer service makes ordering — and even returning — Saatva mattresses a breeze.
- Motion transfer can be an issue for some Saatva mattresses, so couples with differing sleep needs may prefer another brand.
- Body weight can play into mattress appeal. Plus-size or petite users may not find the standard Saatva models comfortable.
- Saatva mattresses don’t have the familiar memory foam mattress feel. Depending on who you ask, this could either be a benefit or a downside.
- Mattress removal is accompanied by significant transportation fees.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Prima 10″ Foam Mattress
About This Mattress Brand
Currently part of Tempur Sealy International, this familiar brand boasts an intriguing story: NASA research on materials for aircraft seat cushions led to what is now one of the most recognizable mattress companies.
Like many foam mattress businesses, Tempur-Pedic allows customers to choose from a few main types of products:
- TEMPUR-Cloud. Offered in both medium and medium hybrid designs, these mattresses provide personalized comfort by adapting to each sleeper’s temperature, weight, and shape. As a bed-in-a-box solution, these are more affordable than mattresses from Tempur-Pedic’s other collections.
- TEMPUR-Adapt. This far-reaching category is divided into premium models known as ProAdapt and LuxeAdapt. Both come highly recommended due to their proprietary technology, which allows them to maximize pressure point relief.
- TEMPUR-breeze. Designed to handle microclimates, and, in most cases, emphasize cooling, these mattresses are available as PRObreeze and LUXEbreeze styles. This is a great opportunity to bring weather-related tossing and turning to a swift end.
Why Customers Love Tempur-Pedic
- Having introduced trusted mattresses several decades ago, Tempur-Pedic has a longer history than many of the brands in this guide. This may lend some customers greater confidence in Tempur-Pedic’s products.
- Excellent pressure point relief brings extra comfort at bedtime, regardless of how many aches or pains customers experience during the day.
- A wide variety of mattress styles and sizes are provided, so there is truly something for everyone.
- Tempur-Pedic stands out with its minimal motion transfer. As such, it’s an amazing option for couples with dramatically different sleeping styles.
- The proprietary materials used in Tempur-Pedic are said to be more resilient than typical memory foam.
- Tempur-Pedic is available for purchase from a variety of retailers and not exclusively online from the manufacturer’s website.
- Some dissatisfied customers report experiencing sagging.
- Customer service can be hit or miss, with many people complaining of long wait times or struggles with securing refunds.
- These mattresses tend to hold heat and often have poor airflow.
Which Brand Is Known for its Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattresses?
Purple makes its mark with a unique GelFlex grid that addresses pressure points to create a cradling sensation. This GelFlex approach is central to Purple’s success as a brand. Saatva also offers a gel-infused option known as the Modern Foam Mattress.
What Are Good Mattress Brands That Offer Variety for Different Sleep Styles?
Your typical sleep position plays heavily into which brand and model you ultimately select. Variety is a key component of the current Tempur-Pedic lineup, which includes a wide array of mattresses designed to please several types of sleepers. Purple also has a decent variety of designs, including not only several premium mattresses, but also, options for kids.
What Makes a Mattress Brand Noteworthy?
Few household products are as subjective as mattresses. While some are clearly better than others, a lot depends on what, exactly, promotes a good night’s sleep for any given person. Preferences range from firm to enveloping, with materials, sizing, and edge support also representing important concerns.
There’s a lot to consider as you begin the mattress shopping process. To ensure that you make the most of this important investment, pay close attention to these key concerns:
Type of Mattresses Available
No single mattress is perfect for every consumer. Designations such as side, stomach, or back sleeper will play heavily into this decision, as will tendencies to sleep either near the center or edge of the mattress. Climate also makes a difference.
With so much to take into account, it helps to select a brand that provides mattress styles that accommodate all types of users. Some companies provide vast lineups of foam, innerspring, and hybrid mattresses, while others stick to a specific approach that appeals to a particular type of consumer.
If you opt for a brand that has a limited product selection, it’s imperative that you do your research and verify that these types of mattresses will actually abide by your unique sleep requirements.
Mattresses represent a significant investment — one that many well-rested individuals would argue is worth every penny. That being said, not everybody wants or needs to shell out thousands of dollars for a new mattress.
Online, bed-in-a-box solutions have delivered a much-needed source of competition to this market, forcing traditional retailers to follow suit with a wider variety of pricing options. As a result, it’s often possible to purchase a high-quality mattress for a reasonable price.
The cost of your mattress may ultimately depend on how you sleep, and, in turn, the structure and firmness you need.
If you’re a side sleeper, for example, you’re a prime candidate for a memory foam bed — and these are often available at shockingly low prices when purchased directly from online retailers. If you require more support or need to balance differing sleep preferences between partners, an extra investment is likely.
Keep in mind that, while some brands might initially seem affordable, they’ll save you little if you’re forced to step up to the premium version. Regardless of your budget or personal preferences, it’s worth your while to comparison shop, as you just might be surprised by the deals you encounter.
Because mattresses can cost so much, peace of mind is essential. Many companies allow you to protect your investment with help from limited or extended warranties. These vary dramatically from one manufacturer to the next, so you’ll want to examine the fine print to ensure that warranty coverage is as extensive as the company in question claims.
Return policies, while different from warranties, are also worth considering. These allow you to send back any mattress that fails to provide a wonderful night’s sleep. This is a common option for online retailers. After all, these businesses need to overcome the natural hesitance that customers might feel if they’re unable to check out mattresses in person.
Ratings for mattresses are, like all customer feedback, highly subjective. As we’ve mentioned, a mattress that provides a restful night of sleep for one person might cause somebody else to toss and turn.
That being said, customer ratings are still worth examining. They provide a wealth of insight into common issues, as well as advantages that prospective customers might not consider.
If purchasing from an online retailer, look closely for indications of poor customer service. While quality service is always important, it’s absolutely crucial if you’re going to miss out on seeing potential mattresses in brick-and-mortar locations.
You need to feel confident not only that your mattress will be handled with exceptional care, but also, that the company will honor any return policies mentioned at the time of purchase.
If you’re determined to reduce your carbon footprint, you can make a discernible difference by choosing the right mattress.
The ecological impact of today’s mattresses vary dramatically based on how and where they’re manufactured — and which materials they contain.
Environmental concerns worth taking into account include:
- Organic production. Eco-conscious mattress buyers worry a lot about off-gassing. When in doubt, latex is the way to go. Developed from the sap of rubber trees (a wonderfully sustainable resource), latex is often produced organically and with minimal resource consumption. If this isn’t an option, however, products featuring certified organic cotton are ideal.
- Durability. The greenest mattress will provide years of use. After all, the manufacturing process is resource-intensive even for the most eco-friendly products. Your goal, then, should be to use the same mattress for as long as possible.
- Shipping distances. Where is your preferred mattress manufactured? How far will it be shipped? And what are the chances that you won’t like it and need to have it sent back? These are all major environmental concerns that deserve extra thought.
Choose From These Notable Brands to Find a Mattress That Fits Your Sleep Preference
If you have specific sleep needs and aren’t willing to compromise, you’ll definitely want to do your research before you select a mattress brand. A little insight can make a world of difference as you search for a mattress that promotes exceptional comfort — and a manufacturer that will exceed all expectations for customer service.