Table of Contents
- What is a Crib and Mattress Set Bundle?
- Buying a Bundle Vs. Buying Separately
- Review of the 5 Top-Rated Crib And Mattress Set Bundles
Shopping for a crib and mattress set is one of the big decisions you make when expecting the arrival of your little bundle of joy. With so many brands in the market and the ever-changing safety standards, choosing the best crib and mattress set can be a daunting task.
Worry no more! In this review, we will give you handy tips on picking the best crib and mattress set for your little one. So read on to find out.
What is a Crib and Mattress Set Bundle?
A crib is a small bed for babies that has high sides. People use cribs with other materials such as crib mattresses and baby flannels to keep the babies comfortable. A crib can be sold separately or with a mattress. When sold together they form crib and mattress set bundles.
Types of Cribs
1. Standard Cribs
These baby beds are comfortable, strong, and safe. These crib designs may have a hinged side which makes them easy to access the baby. If you intend to get more children, then a standard baby crib might be suitable for you, as you can use it for a long time.
2. Lifetime/Convertible Cribs
A lifetime or convertible crib is designed to serve your child from their infancy through the teenage. You can convert the crib into a daybed for toddlers or a full bed for your child. This crib saves you money because you do not need to invest in a transitional bed. It is suitable for parents who are not planning to have more kids.
3. Mini/Portable Cribs
As the name suggests, a mini crib is smaller than your traditional models and highly portable. The advantage of a mini crib is that it’s space-saving and therefore a good pick for someone living in a small house. It is also useful if you are traveling. On the downside, babies outgrow these beds quickly, so you will need to buy a bigger bed after a short period.
Crib and Mattress Safety Concerns
- Babies who are less than 12 months old are at a greater risk of suffocation and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). For this reason, you need to invest in a crib and mattress which help you prevent such incidents. To achieve this, start by investing in a crib that is certified by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
- Avoid buying models such as side-drop cribs which are proven to be dangerous to infants. For this reason, the sides of your baby crib should be stationary and you should never accept a donation of a side-drop crib. Avoid used cribs as they may not conform to current safety standards.
- Inspect the crib to ensure that it has missing or loose screws or parts that could compromise its integrity. Check the spaces between the slats and ensure that they do not exceed 2 3/8 inches. This way, you can be sure that your baby cannot fall through the spaces.
- The corner posts should not protrude above 0.0625 inches to prevent them from catching the baby’s clothes.
- The crib should not have cuts on the headboard or footboard that can trap the baby’s head. If your crib has a playpen or mesh design, ensure that the spaces are less than 0.25 inches. The mesh should be free from tears or threads which can entangle your baby.
- When it comes to choosing a mattress for your crib, it is advisable to pick one that fits the bed tightly and doesn’t leave spaces that could trap your baby. The best crib brands in the market recommend the mattresses which fit their cribs. Therefore, check the labels on your crib or details of the user manual for any ideas on the best mattresses to use on your crib. If you cannot find this information, measure your crib from the inside to know the size of mattress you will require.
- You will need to buy a firm mattress for your baby. Soft mattresses increase the risk of suffocation and SIDS. One way to taste the firmness of your baby mattress is by pressing the center and the edges. If the mattress bounces back immediately, then that is the best pick for you.
- Infants will spend most of their early days in their beds. Therefore, it is important to invest in a mattress that is free from volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These are toxic compounds that could pose health problems to your little one. Therefore, it is advisable to buy a mattress that has very low or no VOCs. If you have the budget, consider buying a mattress that is Global Organic Textile Standard certification.
- Consider the ease of lifting the mattress when cleaning your baby’s sleeping areas or changing the sheets. Foam mattresses are lighter than coil-spring types. Therefore, buy a mattress that you are okay working with.
- If you invest in a two-stage crib mattress, do not flip it to the toddler stage side before your baby is one-year-old. This side is softer and more cushioned than the infant side. Letting your infant use that side could expose them to the risk of suffocation. However, a two-stage mattress has its benefits as you do not need to invest in a second mattress when your baby is older.
Buying a Bundle Vs. Buying Separately
Buying a crib and mattress bundle means that the offer you get from the seller includes both items. When you buy the crib and mattress separately, each item has its price. You have both options. Each of these approaches has its pros and cons, as explained below.
Advantages of Buying Crib and Mattress Bundles
- Cribs that come with mattresses save you the hassle of shopping for each item separately. Both items are shipped together and you can use them as soon as you receive your shipment.
- You don’t have to worry about the mattress fitting in the crib because the manufacturer tests both products for compatibility before listing them for sale.
- It is also possible for sellers to offer you a lower price when you buy a crib and mattress bundle compared to buying the two products separately. Some crib and mattress bundle offers may come with additional products, such as mattress covers and baby sleep aid toys.
- Another advantage of bundles crib and mattress offers is that they give you the convenience of shopping once, especially if you are held up with other commitments.
Disadvantages of Crib and Mattress Bundles
- The challenge with crib and mattress bundles is that you may not like one product, either the mattress or the crib. Unfortunately, the seller may not agree to exchange it with a different model at the same price as the original product bundle. In such a case, you may end with a product that doesn’t suit your needs.
- A good example is where you prefer a crib and mattress from different brands. Therefore, make sure if you have to buy a crib and mattress bundle, both products meet your expectations.
Advantages of Buying Crib and Mattress Separately
- If you decide to shop for a baby crib and mattress separately, you will have the freedom to choose products that you like without the constraints that come with product bundling. For instance, if you don’t want to have more kids, you can buy a convertible crib and shop for a two-stage mattress of your choice.
- Sometimes you could be shopping for a mattress alone, especially if you intend to use a crib used by your older kid. In such situations, it makes sense to avoid buying cribs and mattress bundles.
Disadvantages of Buying Crib and Mattress Separately
- When you buy a crib and mattress separately, you are likely to miss out on the discounts that come with bundled products. In such situations, you will spend more compared to when you get a single quotation for both products.
- Shopping for both products separately could be time-consuming, especially if you are searching for a specific product, and the local retailers do not have it in stock.
- If you buy these products separately, they are likely to be shipped separately. When this happens, you may have to wait longer to set up the bed for your little one. Such delays may inconvenience you, especially if you are doing last-minute shopping when your baby is almost due.
Review of the 5 Top-Rated Crib And Mattress Set Bundles
In this review, we have identified 5 top-rated crib and mattress bundles from leading brands in the market, which we think are likely to meet your needs. We have highlighted their salient features and hope that, as you read our review, a crib and mattress set that suit you.
Delta Children is a family-owned brand that has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing sleep products for all ages and life stages. The company has partnered with top brands in the market, such as Serta, Disney, and marvel, to produce superior products for kids. Its Delta Children Heartland 4-in-1 Crib and Toddler Mattress bundle gives you products that your infant can use from birth to pre-teen years.
The Delta Children Heartland 4-in-1 crib is made from strong and sturdy wood, which ensures the unit serves you for a long time. This material is natural and non-toxic and therefore enhances the safety of your child. The crib converts into a toddler bed, a daybed, and a full bed. This convertible design gives you four ways in which you can use the unit as your child grows. The crib has three positions you can set the mattress, thus allowing you to vary the
You don’t have to worry about the finish of the crib because it is available in multiple shades, namely Aqua, Bianca White, Charcoal Grey, Grey and Dark Chocolate, Bianca. This way, you have the freedom to choose a color that suits your tastes and preferences. It is also JPMA certified to guarantee the safety of your child. Over 80% of customers who rated this crib on Amazon gave the product a five-star rating for its sturdy, attractive, and versatile design that is easy to assemble. It also comes at a pocket-friend price and a one-year warranty.
The Delta Children Twinkle Galaxy Dual-Sided Crib Mattress is made from recycled plastic bottle fiber, which is firm, breathable, and non-toxic. Your little one can enjoy a good night’s sleep in a cool and clean environment. Its waterproof vinyl cover is hypoallergenic, a feature that keeps off bad odors. It is easy also easy to clean when the baby wet or soils the bed. The dual-sided design allows you to use the bed for longer, as the child grows.
It fits the crib perfectly without leaving spaces that could trap your baby and cause injuries. This crib bed mattress is CPSIA, JPMA, GreenGuard certified to ensure that your baby sleeps safely throughout the night. Most customers who buy this mattress love it for its firm, non-toxic, waterproof, and dual-sided features. It also comes at an affordable price and has a 7-year warranty.
The Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Crib and Toddler Mattress bundle is another way you can save money when shopping for your infant. Although its slated sides give the crib the simple look of a traditional baby bed, don’t be fooled by the looks. This bed is an engineering marvel. It is designed to serve your child through their early years in life. It can convert into a daybed where the baby can spend quality time with their parents or nanny.
When the infant becomes a toddler, you can convert the crib to make it accessible to the baby. And that’s not all! You don’t have to invest in another bed when your baby is older because this crib converts into a full bed with a headboard.
The Delta Children Emery Crib has three positions on which you can set its mattress. This feature allows you to match the height of the side slats with the size of your baby without compromising its safety. This baby crib is made from solid New Zealand pine wood, which gives it a strong and sturdy structure. It is GreenGuard Gold certified, which means that the crib is free from thousands of elements that emit harmful VOCs. When it comes to safety, this unit meets or exceeds JPMA standards.
Its rating on Amazon is 4.7 stars. 86% of these customers gave the unit a 5 five star rating. Some of the features which thrilled customers about this crib include its stylish and highly functional design. A few users that didn’t like this crib complained of faulty deliveries with missing parts. Such cases could be linked to poor handling during shipment. The company also gives a one-year warranty on the crib. Therefore, you should be able to ask for a replacement if you receive a faulty shipment.
On the other hand, the Serta Perfect Slumber Dual Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress, which comes with the Emery crib, features a premium fiber core made from recycled plastic bottles. This process removes tons of plastics from the environment, thus keeping it clean. Purchasing this mattress for your infant is your noble contribution to a cleaner environment. The plastic fiber core keeps the mattress breathable. It is also firm and gives sufficient support to your baby while sleeping.
Another great feature most clients love about this mattress is its waterproof and hypoallergenic vinyl cover. It is easy to clean and doesn’t harm your baby. Over 80% of clients who review this mattress give it a five-star rating because of its firm and comfortable design as well as its affordable price. The company has up to 7 years warranty on this mattress, which is almost the time you will need to transition your child to a bigger bed.
If you are working on a tight budget, consider buying the Dream On Me 4 in 1 Aden Crib with mattress bundle. This bundle offer is pocket-friendly, and the crib and mattress are of high quality. For instance, the Aden crib is designed to convert into a mini daybed and twin-size bed, which you can use when the child grows older. However, the twin-size bed frame is sold separately, and you can budget to buy later. You can also adjust the crib slats in three positions as the baby grows and make it easy to access them.
The compact design of this crib makes it suitable for tight spaces. It is made from solid pine wood and is available in seven non-toxic finishes. This way, your baby is protected from paints with harmful VOCs, and you get to pick a shade that suits you. It is tested and certified by JPMA, and therefore it is safe for your kid’s use. Its elegant design and strong frame make it one of the most popular cribs in its class. Over 80% of clients who reviewed this product on Amazon gave it a five-star rating.
However, few customers were not happy with this crib because some parts were defective or damaged. The unit is also smaller than standard baby cribs. The good news is that these problems can be solved by returning the damaged product to the seller after all the company offers a 30-day warranty. Also, make sure you confirm the dimensions of your preferred crib depending on the available space in your home.
The Dream On Me 4 in 1 Aden Crib with mattress included has some premium features that will add comfort to your baby while keeping them safe from accidents and harmful microbes. For starters, it comes with an extra firm eco-fiber core that provides support and comfort to your little one while preventing incidents of SIDS associated with soft mattresses. It has a waterproof vinyl cover that is hypo-allergenic and antibacterial.
These features make the mattress easy to clean and maintain. It also wades off mildew and mold. This way, your little one is protected from allergies and respiratory infections that arise from a dirty sleeping area. Clean your baby’s sleeping area frequently to avoid the accumulation of dust. You may need to dry the mattress in the sun whenever you clean it. The company gives up to 10 years of warranty on this mattress.
The Simmons Kids SlumberTime Paloma 4-in-1 Crib and Toddler Mattress is another cost-saving crib and mattress bundle. It includes the classic Simmons Kids Paloma 4-in-1 Convertible Crib which is made from solid Radiata Pine. This material gives the crib a sturdy and strong frame that can support your baby as they grow. The crib comes in a stylish finish with an heirloom style that guarantees you years of use without getting outdated.
Most customers who buy this crib love it because of its sturdy frame, stylish and highly functional design. It’s available in shades of Rustic Acorn, Grey, and Whitewash, thus giving customers the freedom to choose colors that suit their tastes and preferences. You can convert it into a daybed, toddler bed, and full-size bed with a headboard and footboard. This way, your child can use it past their teenage years. This crib is a great buy if you do not intend to get another baby. However, converting this crib into a twin-size bed will require you to buy the bed rails separately.
You do not have to worry about your kid’s safety because the crib is made from natural wood, and the finish is free from toxic VOCs and trace elements. It passes JPMA certifications, and your child cannot be trapped in the side slats. Its surfaces are smooth and polished to make them child-friendly. The Simmons Kids Paloma 4-in-1 Convertible Crib comes with a 1-year limited warranty, which allows you to get a replacement from the manufacturer if you receive a faulty shipment.
This crib and mattress bundle comes with the Serta Perfect Slumber Dual Sided Crib and Toddler mattress, which is made from recycled plastic fiber core. This fiber is extra firm and gives your baby enough support for a comfortable and safe sleep. It is also breathable and thus ensures sufficient air circulation, which prevents your baby from excessive sweating.
The crib mattress has a waterproof vinyl cover, which makes it easy to clean and maintain. The mattress cover is also hypoallergenic, which protects your kid from allergic reactions. Another feature that makes this toddler mattress popular among North American parents is its dual-sided design because it allows you to use it for a long time. Clients who bought it were thrilled by its affordable prices and 7-year warranty. It is also GreenGuard, JPMA, and CPSIA certified for the guaranteed safety of your little one.
Delta Children Abby Convertible Crib and Toddler Mattress bundle offer is one of the most affordable offers by the Delta Children brand. This offer includes the Delta Children Abby Crib which is beautifully crafted from sustainably produced New Zealand pine wood. The quality of wood used makes this crib sturdy and strong enough to last for years. Its design allows you to convert it into a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size twin bed. This multifunction design allows you to use the crib even when the child is a teenager. However, you will have to buy the toddler bed guardrail and full-size bed rails separately.
The crib comes in shades of Grey, Bianca White, and Dark Chocolate. This way, customers have the flexibility of choosing a finish that suits their preferences. You don’t have to worry about harmful VOCs coming from this crib because it is lead and phthalate-safe. It also passes JPMA safety standards and is sure to provide a safe nursery for your baby. The crib also comes with a baby changer with a water-resistant changing pad. The changing table acts as a free-standing storage cabinet with two drawers.
Other features that make most clients fall in love with this baby crib include three mattress positions that allow you to adjust the height of the side slats as your child grows for added safety. It is also easy to assemble, and it’s no surprise that 86% of users who reviewed this crib on Amazon gave it a five-star rating.
This crib and mattress offer comes with the Serta Perfect Slumber Dual Sided Recycled Fiber Core Crib and Toddler Mattress from Delta Children. This product is designed to last through the earlier years of your baby without the need to replace it, thanks to the dual-sided design and the extra-firm recycled plastic fiber core. The mattress is highly breathable and firm. This way, your baby gets a cool and comfortable sleeping area. It is also GreenGuard, JPMA, and CPSIA certified for the guaranteed safety of your little one. This mattress is easy to clean, thanks to its waterproof and hypoallergenic vinyl cover. The company offers a 7-year warranty on this crib mattress to the delight of its clients.
The prices of crib and crib mattresses differ from one brand to another. However, you can save money when you buy a crib and mattress bundle as opposed to buying them separately. With a budget of $400 to $600, you can get a quality crib and mattress.
Cribs may vary slightly in size. However, a crib mattress that is 52x28x4 inches will fit most cribs in the market. The most important thing is to make sure that the mattress fits the crib snugly without leaving gaps.
One mattress is sufficient to use on a crib. Always make sure that the height of the side slats from the surface of the mattress provides enough protection for your baby.
Before you buy a crib mattress, compare its size with that of the crib. The dimensions of the mattress should be slightly less than that of the crib.
Two-stage mattresses have a firmer side for infants and a toddler side with extra cushioning. Brands include a side tag that shows you when you should turn the crib mattress.